The E-Vine: A Weekly News Update from St. John’s August 27, 2015
This Week’s Memory Verse
“He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”
This Sunday: We begin a new worship series. Grace was the heart of the message the apostle Paul preached. As he began to prepare to go to Rome to preach and teach there, he sent a letter to the church to serve as an introduction to his message. That letter, Paul’s letter to the Romans, is the most systematic and thorough treatment of the plan of salvation in the New Testament. Reading almost like a theology text book, Paul lays out the need for grace and the amazing gift of grace.
Today we look at the opening to the letter, where Paul lays out its theme, that we are saved by grace through faith. Paul is not ashamed of the Gospel, the good news of salvation in Jesus Christ, for it is the very power of God for salvation. The righteous live through faith in that message.
- Habakkuk 2:1-4
- Romans 1:1-17
- John 20:30-31
- Asha Community Health and Development Society. Karin Martin, founder and director of Asha, will be at St. John’s on August 30 to share with us the story of Asha and what is being done to improve the lives of those dwelling in the slums of India. Asha seeks to live out its Christian values by delivering healthcare to those it serves, as well as seeking to enrich and empower their lives in other ways, including providing education scholarships. There will also be a presentation at 11:30 (after the 10:15 service) in the sanctuary. For more information, go to www.asha-india.org/
- Sanctuary Choir practice will resume on September 2nd at 7:00 PM Join us!
- Wednesday Morning Bible Class: This class, led by Pastor Mark, will begin again on Wednesday, September 9th. We will review the first four chapters of Galatians and then finish the rest of the book. Class meets most Wednesday mornings in Room 10 from 10:30 – 11:30.
- Baptism Workshop. Are you interested in Baptism, either for yourself or your children? Our next Baptism Workshop will be on Tuesday, September 15, at 7:00 PM in Room 8. Pastor Mike and Pastor Mark will present the biblical teaching on Baptism as well as how we do Baptism at St. John’s. We will also discuss nurturing the faith life of young children. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact the church office.
- Financial Peace University: We all need a plan for our money. Financial Peace University (FPU) is that plan! Through video teaching, class discussions and interactive small group activities, FPU presents biblical, practical steps to get from where you are to where you’ve dreamed you could be. This plan will show you how to get rid of debt, manage your money, spend and save wisely, and much more! Each of the 9 weekly classes are about one hour and forty-five minutes long. The next session will be held at St. John’s on Thursday evenings at 7:00 PM from September 17 to November 12. Materials are $93 (plus $9.30 shipping) per household. Register and order materials for the class online at http://www.daveramsey.com/fpu/locations/class/1003258
- REFRESH, RE-ENERGIZE & RECONNECT on a Lutheran Marriage Encounter Weekend! Give your spouse the gift of your time and attention away from your daily routine. The next Weekend is scheduled October 2 – 4, 2015 at the Holiday Inn in Rancho Cordova, CA. Married husbands & wives can apply now at www.GodLovesMarriage.org. Contact Pastor Ted & Marty Hartman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 530-333-4628 for more information. But hurry! Weekends fill fast and pre-registration is required by September 4.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Children’s Church: We have openings for children’s church leaders for both the preschool – 1st grade children’s church, and the 2nd – 4th Grade class. Are you interested in learning more about serving in this way? Please contact Pastor Mike.
- Aaron Comfort Dog Visits: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook page at AaronComfortDog
- Mission India: Please keep our Mission India Literacy trainer in your prayers. As announced in church, we have met the goal for financially supporting our trainer for this year. But we are still collecting support for Mission India which will go toward supporting other literacy trainers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see the display in the church entryway.
- John’s is on Twitter Follow St. John’s on Twitter: @sjlcnapa.
- Are you on Facebook? So are we! https://www.facebook.com/sjlcnapa
- Abide Daily Devotion: How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotion in your email each morning. http://stjohnslutheran.net/abide-devotion/