Worship for September 20: “David and Bathsheba: When We Fall”
What do we do when we fail before God? When we fall short of His calling? When we give in to the sinful nature within? On the one hand this happens daily in all of our lives. Sometimes we fall in small ways. Sometimes in very serious ways.
Today’s account from the life of David shows him falling far from God’s glory. We do not see David as a role model today, neither in what he did, nor in how he made it worse by failing to confront his sin. God calls us to honesty before Him and before ourselves. May God lead us into true confession, that He might shower us with His forgiving grace.
This will be a communion service for those who are gathered in person and for those in their homes.
In-Person Worship Reopens Sunday, September 20 at 9:30 AM
We are pleased to announce that in-person worship at St. John’s will resume on Sunday, September 20. There will only be one service at 9:30 AM. All the procedures the task force previously put in place will remain the same. They are listed below. We will be singing during the service as long as a surgical mask rather than a cloth mask is being worn. If you don’t have one, one will be provided as you enter church.
If you plan to return to in-person worship please consider serving as a volunteer if you aren’t already doing so. We are in need of ushers, Communion assistants, worship preparation, and techs for sound, projection, and on-line streaming. Let Pastor Mike or Pastor Mark know if you can serve in any of these areas.
We will be following these guidelines for in-person worship:
- If you are not feeling well or have a fever, please stay home.
- If you are part of one of the groups more vulnerable to coronavirus, please consider not attending at this time.
- A face covering is required and must cover the nose and the mouth throughout the service.
- Hand sanitizer (provided) must be used when entering and exiting the building.
- Entry will be only through the main doors off the patio using the gate by the bell tower.
- Ushers will seat worshipers from front to back maintaining social distance. Family groups need to all enter the church at the same time.
- Only the bathrooms in the Parish Hall (Gym) will be open.
- Bulletins will not be handed out. Everything will be on the screens. If you would like an order of service you can print one out from the church website and bring it with you. Please take it with you after the service.
We certainly understand if you are not ready yet to return to in-person worship. The service will be live streamed each Sunday as well as the Wednesday night 7:00 PM service. Thank you for your faithfulness, patience, and prayers.
Family and Children Resources
We are pleased to offer several resources for families, parents and children
- “Children’s Church Lesson.” This is a weekly Sunday School/Children’s church type lesson for parents to lead with small children. Please use this at home during this time when we are unable to offer our regular children’s church. Here is this week’s: https://stjohnslutheran.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Childrens-Church-august-23-2020-Job-Remains-Faithful.pdf
- “Parenting Christian Kids” This is a monthly newsletter with helpful input for parents as they seek to nurture the spiritual growth of their children. Click here for the August issue: https://stjohnslutheran.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Parenting-Christian-Kids-August-2020.pdf
- Video for parents about trust: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUrnkA0DF2g
Wednesday Night Worship
“When You Pray”
Jesus teaches us that prayer is about our relationship with God, and not about impressing others. But does this mean we never pray in public? We continue our study of the Gospel of Matthew as we continue through the Sermon on the Mount. This weeks we look at Matthew 6:5-8. To join in click here at 7:00 PM on September 23. thttps://www.youtube.com/user/stjohnsnapaca/live
Congregational Meeting on September 20 at 4:00 PM
The Board of Directors has set a date for a Voters Meeting, a Congregational meeting. The agenda will include:
- Election for five of the nine positions on the Board of Directors
- Consideration and Adoption of the Ministry Plan and Budget for 2020-2021
To view and download the proposed Ministry Plan and Budget, please click here: https://stjohnslutheran.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Proposed-Ministry-Plan-and-Narrative-Budget-2020-2021.pdf
The following people are on the ballot for the Board of Directors. There are five positions to fill. Those marked with * are current board members
- Michele Arnold *
- Andrea Clark *
- Lori Gutierrez *
- Clare King
- John Van Hofwegan *
- Todd Yoder *
Fire Relief Assistance
St. John’s has a fund for helping people who have been affected by the fires. If you are in need of assistance, or know of someone who could use this assistance, please let us know. Contact the church office. All requests will be referred to our benevolence committee, which oversees grants from the fund.
Right Now Media
We are very excited to make available to you the resources of Right Now Media. It’s been called the “Netflix of Video Bible Studies” and has a HUGE library of faith-based videos that you can access whenever and wherever you want—on your phone, iPad, computer, or at home on your TV.
As a church staff, we’re always looking for ways to help you develop and strengthen your faith. We believe that RightNow Media will be a tool to serve you as you live out your faith at home, at work and in your neighborhood. RightNow Media has videos for everyone—kids, youth, parents, married couples, college students, single adults, working professionals—all aimed at helping you grow.
If you haven’t already signed up, click on this link: http://bit.ly/STJOHNSNAPA
UPDATE: Aaron and the West Coast LCC K9 Comfort Dogs continue to respond to Northern California Wildfires
Team Aaron has been very busy visiting with Cal Fire teams in Northern California. PLEASE CLICK HERE for LCC “Making a Difference Newsletter” article, pictures, and video.
Ongoing News and Information