Membership is Discipleship
Our mission is to lead people into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ, His followers and His world. Membership at St. John’s is about pursuing these growing relationships, and allowing ourselves to be led by Christ through the ministry of this congregation. Membership is not so much about joining an institution, as it is committing to discipleship and the pursuit of spiritual growth in the context of a community of faith.
What does it mean to be a Member/Disciple?
Simply put, it means to be pursuing growth in these three relationships: With Jesus Christ, His followers, and His world. There are three main activities that we emphasize at St. John’s that we believe are central to growing in these relationships. Membership at St. John’s means to be active in these areas:
- Worship – Gathering in the presence of God for prayer, praise, Word, and Sacrament
- Small Group – Meeting with others for Bible study, fellowship, and prayer
- Service – Serving others in our home, church, community, and world
How do I become a member?
The first step in becoming a member is becoming a worshiper. Begin making worship a part of life for you and your family. Worship is the center of the life of our congregation, the central way in which we “lead people up” in their relationship with Jesus. The next step is to participate in the Discovering the Christian Faith class. This class is a mix of online teaching, and followup discussions with Pastor Mike. We cover the basic teachings of the Christian faith and the life and ministry of our congregation. We will focus on what it means to have a relationship with Jesus Christ, and what it means to be part of the body of Christ in this place. This study consists of six two hour sessions:
- A Saving Relationship: What it means to have a relationship with Jesus.
- A Divine Relationship: Who is this God we call Trinity, Father Son and Holy Spirit?
- A Conversational Relationship: How we listen to and speak with God through the Bible and Prayer.
- A Sacred Relationship: How God comes to us in a holy and personal way in the Sacraments of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
- A Living Relationship: How we live out our relationship with Jesus through the Ten Commandments.
- A Communal Relationship: How we live, serve and grow together in relationship with Christ as His people.
How do I start the online class. Click here! To find out more, please call the church office at 707-255-0119 or contact Pastor Mike at email@example.com