Worship for June 28
Worship in the Sanctuary: 8:30 AM and 10:30 AM
Livestream: 10:30 AM
“David: A Matter of Heart”
Worship for June 28: David and His God
During our summer sermon series, we will be reflecting on David and the significant relationships in his life. Apart from Jesus Christ, there is more biographical information written about the life of David than any other person in the Bible. But David’s story isn’t a celebration of David. Instead, his life celebrates a God of sovereign glory and redemptive mercy.
Rather than beginning with the early years of David, today we focus on his relationship with his God. About 34 years into his 40-year reign, David desires to build a house for the Lord. In 2 Samuel 7 the Lord declares that David will not build a house for Him, but instead, He will build a house for David. The Lord makes a covenant with King David and promises to establish the throne of his kingdom forever. But this passage has very little to do with David at all. He only becomes great because the Lord has the power to do what He promises. David’s relationship with his God reminds us that our hope is in the God who stands behind His promises.
Please go to this page (http://stjohnslutheran.net/live-streaming-worship-at-st-johns/) for information regarding the 1030 , to download the handout, to link to the live stream itself.
In-Person Worship Resumes This Sunday, June 28
We are pleased to announce that in-person worship at St. John’s will resume on Sunday, June 28 at 8:30 AM and 10:30 AM. Thanks be to God! We are also thankful for the task force which has developed new practices to limit the risk of worshiping together.
Attendance in the church building will be limited to 100 per service. We will not be doing reservations at this time since the surveys suggest we will be under that number at both services.
We will be following these guidelines for in-person worship:
- If you are not feeling well or have a fever, please stay home.
- If you are part of one of the groups more vulnerable to coronavirus, please consider not attending at this time.
- Face covering is required and must cover the nose and the mouth.
- Hand sanitizer (provided) must be used when entering and exiting the building.
- Entry will be only through the main doors off the patio using the gate by the bell tower.
- Ushers will seat worshipers from front to back maintaining social distance. Family groups need to all enter the church at the same time.
- Only the bathrooms in the Parish Hall (Gym) will be open.
- Bulletins will not be handed out. Everything will be on the screens. If you would like an order of service you can print one out from the church website and bring it with you. Please take it with you after the service.
We certainly understand if you are not ready yet to return to in-person worship. The 10:30 AM service will be live streamed each Sunday as well as the Wednesday night 7:00 PM service. We will begin streaming both services when we have trained more volunteer streaming techs. If you are interested in joining this team, please let us know.
Thank you for your faithfulness, patience, and prayers.
Please view this video of Pastor Mark explaining the procedures and practices for in-person worship.
Farewell and Godspeed for Joel Wahlers
We will be recognizing and blessing our principal Joel Wahlers at both services this Sunday. On June 30, Joel will complete his service at St. John’s after 17 years of serving as our principal. We give thanks to God for his ministry among us! Joel will be taking on his new call as Assistant to the President for Education and Congregational Services for the California Nevada Hawaii District of the LCMS. Joel and Dawn will continue to live in Napa and be part of our St. John’s family.
Children’s Resources for June 28
We are now providing a download for “Family Faith Night.” Please click here for this resource. May God bless your family as you seek to grow together! http://stjohnslutheran.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/FamilyFaithNight-2.pdf
We also have coloring pages for this Sunday’s emphasis on David: http://stjohnslutheran.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/David-Coloring-Sheets.pdf
Race and Grace Follow-up
Here are links to sites with further resources as we seek God’s will and direction regarding racism and our calling as Christians.
- Resources from the Pacific Southwest District of the LCMS: https://www.psd-lcms.org/resources-on-racism
- Resources from the LCMS Black Clergy Caucus: http://www.blackministryweek.com/in-your-home
- Recent posts by Greg Finke of Dwelling 114 (Author of “Joining Jesus”): https://dwelling114.org/blog
I also invite you to participate in this survey for our congregation by Barna Research. This “Faith & Race Check-In” asks about your perspective and questions on current issues around race and justice. The results will be shared with our congregation. IT consists of 20 questions and will take 3-7 minutes to complete.
Click here to participate: https://assessments.gloo.us/a/RGVwbG95bWVudENvbmZpZ3wxNzE0MzE0MjQ0MzE5NjEwMTEz
Ongoing News and Information