The E-Vine: A Weekly News Update from St. John’s September 13, 2018
This Week’s Memory Verse
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Philippians 2:3-4
As We Gather
In today’s reading from 1 Corinthians, Paul speaks of freedom and his rights as an Apostle. Rights he has chosen to give up for the sake of the Gospel. There may be times when the correct thing to do is not to act on our rights. Christian freedom is not freedom to do what we like, but freedom from all the things that stop us from being the person God really wants us to be, which is freedom for the service of God and the Gospel. What is God calling us to give up in Christian freedom for the sake of those who need the good news of Jesus?
1st Reading Isaiah 49:1-6
Psalm Psalm 67
2nd Reading 1 Corinthians 9:1-23
Holy Gospel Luke 5:1-11
Children’s Church Teachers: Janet Gates, Ramona Kaufmann, Jenny Gass
GOD IS THE SOURCE AND THE OWNER OF ALL THINGS. WE LEAVE THIS EARTH WITH EMPTY HANDS.
“For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it” (1 Timothy 6:7).
In 1 John 4:16 we read, “God is love.” God’s love is evident in His giving. “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). Because of His love, God gave us the gift that we needed the most – our Savior. Out of love and gratitude for who God is and what He has done for us, we strive to live as Christ did. Through our giving, we become like Him. The more we give from hearts filled with love and gratitude, the more we reflect Christ’s likeness.
- Lemonade Stand after Services on Sunday, September 23rd… SJLS second grader, David Como, is sponsoring a lemonade stand to benefit our LCC K9 Comfort Dog Ministry. Please stop by and support his efforts! Thank you!
- Join Caitlin Newton over a meal as she shares her experiences from her World Race where she traveled to over 11 countries in 11 months. When: Wednesday, September 26th, at 7 PM. Where: Parish Hall. If you are interested in helping with food prep, set up, or clean up, contact Caitlin at (707) 337-9928. Thank you and see you there!
- Worship: Let’s Talk about it. We are planning a couple of forums for the purpose of discussing our Sunday worship life and how to improve it: What can be improved? How can we make worship more accessible for guests and those unfamiliar with the way we worship? The forums will be on Sunday, September 23rd in the Parish Hall/gym after each of the services. The forum after the 8:30 service will focus on that service. The forum after the 10:15 service will focus on the 10:15 service.
- Growth Group Worship Series – I AM: The Radical Claim that Changes Everything (September 30-November 11, 2018) – Our fall worship series will focus on the “I am” statements of Jesus in the Gospel of John. This series will involve not only Sunday worship, but also a Growth Group gathering during the week. The purpose of the Growth Group is to grow in friendship, to grow in God’s Word, and to positively impact the world.
We have Growth Group HOSTS that are ready to welcome you to their Growth Groups. Some groups are already filled, but some are still open. Below are open times and leaders. Please check if interested and place in the offering, or contact the leader directly. Growth Groups start the week of October 1, and continue for seven weeks.
- Tuesdays at 7:00 (Sandra Mehrens)
- Wednesdays at 5:00 (Bob and Doris Klein)
- Fridays at 6:00 (Ron and Lois Johnson)
- Saturdays at 7:00 (Chris and Heidi Newman) (Kid friendly, child-care)
Please contact the leader or Pastor Mike (email@example.com if you are interested in joining one of these groups
- Prayer Team… The SJLS Prayer Team meets on Thursday mornings in Room 10 from 8:30 – 9:00 AM. All are welcome to join in. Feel free to stop in for a cup of coffee and a time of prayer. The purpose of this team is prayer – prayer for our school, its students, families and staff, as well as any other prayer needs or requests that come to the team. For more information, talk to Pastor Mike, Joel Wahlers, Anne Goodrich or Pam Barker.
- Attention all AMAZON Users! Please consider sing “Amazon Smile” when you place your orders, designating St. John’s Lutheran Church fund. (There is no additional cost to you!) Just click on the link below and place your order. It is that simple! https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-6001864
- Wednesday Morning Bible Class…This class, led by Pastor Mark, will continue studying the book of Romans, picking up at chapter 12. This is a detailed study as we work our way through the rest of this book verse by verse. All who are available on Wednesday mornings are welcome to join us. Class meets each Wednesday morning in Room 10 from 10:30 – 11:30.
- Stephen Ministry Training Continues…This coming week the Stephen Ministry training class at St. John’s will be considering part 2 of Assertiveness: Relating Gently and Firmly. In this presentation they will be will finding out the difference between passive, assertive, and aggressive behavior and gaining skills that will help both in relating with others and in affirming their own worth. We thank God for the continuing dedication of our Stephen Minister trainees and ask your continued prayers for them and for God’s blessings upon their ministries. For more information about Stephen Ministry contact Pam Barker, Penni Cremen, or Pastor Mark.
- Youth Events…“Attention all HIGH SCHOOLERS! We have officially kicked off our Sunday Morning Hangout (smh). Come out each Sunday morning at 9:30am for fellowship & DONUTS! We meet in the Youth Office.”
CREW: Calling all 3rd & 4th graders! September 20th is the kickoff event for you. 6pm at SJL. Stay Tuned!!
CLUB 56: Great night of kickball last week! See you 5th & 6th graders September 25th at 6pm for the next event!
ABLAZE: 7th & 8th graders!! Next Ablaze is September 18th at 6pm. See you then!”
ABIDE: High School youth! Come out to ABIDE on Thursday night at 7pm!! Contact Kevin Mathison for more info.
- John’s Facilities Online Calendar: Looking for a room for a meeting or event? You can view this calendar online. Go to https://teamup.com/ks059311afd6a21c57 If you would like to book a room/location on campus for an event/meeting, please contact Christy Kramer at the church office to be added to the calendar. Please note: You may only use the facility if you have pre-reserved your requested room/location with Christy Kramer
- Mission India: Please keep this year’s Mission India Literacy trainers in your prayers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see www.missionindia.org.
- Aaron Comfort Dog… New team members are always welcome! Come join us and observe how this amazing ministry works. Please contact Tim or Christy Kramer if you would like to “shadow” during one of our events!
- Aaron Comfort Dog Contact Info: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages at AaronComfortDog.
- Ministry Opportunity: John’s participates in The Table ministry (based at First Presbyterian Church, 1333 Third St. in Napa) by cooking/serving a meal every month on the 2nd Friday. If you would like to help, please sign up for a shift (or multiple shifts) by clicking on the link below: volunteersignup.org/88F3X
We thank you for your service. Your time and your talents are greatly appreciated. Blessings, The Table Team
- Recycle your Household Batteries at SJL: John’s Lutheran is working with Napa Recycling on collecting and disposing of any household batteries you may have; AAA, AA, C, D & 9 volt batteries. We will not accept automotive or drill batteries, only standard householdbatteries. Containers are available in the school office, church office, and Room 10.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Abide Daily Devotion… How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotions in your email each morning. http://stjohnslutheran.net/abide-devotion/
- Online: Are you on Facebook? Twitter? Follow and Friend St. Johns! @sjlcnapa
Aaron Comfort Dog’s Information