This Week’s Memory Verse
But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in His name. ~John 20:31
As We Gather
Jesus made radical claims regarding His identity and His mission. Jesus tells us who He is, making use of powerful images that point us toward who He is, and what it means to follow Him. Today we begin a series focusing on the “I Am” claims of Jesus in the Gospel of John. As we unpack these images in the coming weeks, may the Holy Spirit lead us not only to a deeper understanding of who Jesus is, but also who we are as His followers.
Today we focus on Jesus’ claim that He is the Bread of Life. He is the “manna” come down from heaven that we might eat of it and live. What does this mean for our lives now as we seek to follow Him?
Old Testament Reading Exodus 16:31-35
Psalm Psalm 106:1-5
Epistle Reading 1 Corinthians 11:23-26
Holy Gospel John 6:25-59
Children’s Church Teachers: Diane Barbosa, Lisa Thornton, Sarah Santora
- Dine and Donate: Tuesday, October 9th, between 5:00 pm-9:00 pm, Chipotle Restaurant on Trancas Street will be hosting a Dine and Donate to benefit the Theatre program. Bring in the flyer, show it on your smartphone or tell the cashier you’re supporting St. John’s Lutheran and 33% of the proceeds will be donated to our Theatre program. Flyers are available in the school and church office by clicking this link, as well as online at www.stjohnsnapa.org below the large calendar.
- Youth News
Club 56 is back in action!! Come hang out with other clubbers and learn more about Jesus! Last time was an adventure and this one will be even more adventurous! Tuesday. October 9, at 6pm.
CREW was so much fun last time!! We are hosting another CREW this Thursday, October 11th at 6pm! We will have a handball showdown and learn more about what it means to be Special Agents for Christ!
High school ABIDE will meet in the youth office on Thursday October 11th at 7pm! We will kick off the “I AM” series with a bang! See you there!!
- Stephen Ministry Training Continues…This coming week the Stephen Ministry training class at St. John’s will be considering the subject of Telecare: The Next Best Thing to Being There. In this presentation they will be learning specific techniques that they will use in ministering to people by telephone. Stephen Ministry is adding an important dimension to the ministry here at St. John’s. We thank God for this opportunity He has given us for growth and service. For more information about Stephen Ministry contact Pam Barker, Penni Cremen, or Pastor Mark.
- Attention all AMAZON Users! Please consider using “Amazon Smile” when you place your orders, designating St. John’s Lutheran Church fund. (There is no additional cost to you!) Just click on the link below and place your order. It is that simple! https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-6001864
WE NEED TO WORK AT KEEPING OUR MONEY IN SUBJECTION AND NOT LET
IT BECOME OUR MASTER.
“No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be
devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money” ~Matthew 6:24
- St. John’s Facilities Online Calendar: Looking for a room for a meeting or event? You can view this calendar online. Go to https://teamup.com/ks059311afd6a21c57 If you would like to book a room/location on campus for an event/meeting, please contact Christy Kramer at the church office to be added to the calendar. Please note: You may only use the facility if you have pre-reserved your requested room/location with Christy Kramer
- Mission India: Please keep this year’s Mission India Literacy trainers in your prayers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see www.missionindia.org.
- Aaron’s Blog: “Aaron returns to Las Vegas” Please click on this link http://napavalleycomfortdogs.org/2018/10/02/las-vegas-recovery/ to read about Team Aaron’s return to Las Vegas for the 1 year anniversary of the mass shooting.
- Aaron Comfort Dog… New team members are always welcome! Come join us and observe how this amazing ministry works. Please contact Tim or Christy Kramer if you would like to “shadow” during one of our events!
- Aaron Comfort Dog Contact Info: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages at AaronComfortDog.
- Ministry Opportunity: St. John’s participates in The Table ministry (based at First Presbyterian Church, 1333 Third St. in Napa) by cooking/serving a meal every month on the 2nd Friday. If you would like to help, please sign up for a shift (or multiple shifts) by clicking here. We thank you for your service. Your time and your talents are greatly appreciated. Blessings, The Table Team
- Recycle your Household Batteries at SJL: St. John’s Lutheran is working with Napa Recycling on collecting and disposing of any household batteries you may have; AAA, AA, C, D & 9 volt batteries. We will not accept automotive or drill batteries, only standard household batteries. Containers are available in the school office, church office, and Room 10.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Abide Daily Devotion: How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotions in your email each morning.