This Week’s Memory Verse
My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me. ~John 10:27
As We Gather
Jesus made radical claims regarding His identity and His mission. Jesus tells us who He is, making use of powerful images that point us toward who He is, and what it means to follow Him. We continue our series focusing on the “I Am” claims of Jesus in the Gospel of John. As we unpack these images in the coming weeks, may the Holy Spirit lead us not only to a deeper understanding of who Jesus is, but also who we are as His followers.
Jesus speaks to Martha in her grief over the death of her brother Lazarus, announcing to her that He is the “Resurrection and the Life.” He is the New Creation, the fulfillment of all of God’s promises and all of our hopes. The brokenness of the world is redeemed and made new in Jesus.
1st Reading Revelation 7:9-17
Psalm Psalm 16
2nd Reading 1 John 3:1-3
Gospel John 11:1-44
Children’s Church Teachers: Janet Gates, Ramona Kaufmann, Jenny Gass
- Trunk or Treat… Sunday, October 28, 2018 from 5:00-6:45pm in the Parish Hall at St. John’s. People gather and park their cars in a large parking lot. They open their trunks, or the backs of their vehicles, and decorate them. Then they pass out candy or other treats from their trunks. The event provides a safe family environment for trick or treaters. You should plan on having enough treats for at least 100-150 children. For more information please contact Janis @707-226-7970 ext. 107 or email email@example.com
“This little light of mine……..I’m gonna let it shine!” 🎃
We now have a Sign-Up page for Trunk or Treat Volunteers! Help is needed in several different ways! Please find a way that you can serve our young families. Let’s make our lights shine for Jesus!!! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040D4FAAAA2BAB9-trunk
Or you can email Janis King at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 707.226.7970 ext 107
- 100th Birthday Celebration… The family of Rosella Newton invites you to a reception between services in the Parish Hall on Sunday, November 4th in honor of her 100th birthday on November 3rd. Please join us in celebrating this amazing milestone!
- Youth News
CREW 34!! We have a date for the next gathering. We will meet on November 8th at SJL from 6-7:30pm. The exact location is still TBD, but please mark the date because this is something you will not want to miss out on! See y’all there!
CLUB 56 & ABLAZE will be together for a spooky special event this Tuesday from 6-8pm. It is the day before Halloween so we figured we might as well throw a special event. See y’all there!!
ABIDE is following the “I AM” series very closely as we aim to find out more about God each day. Join us this Thursday in the youth office from 7-9pm! Don’t miss out on Sunday Morning Hangouts at 9:30 am in the youth office.
- SJLS Theatre Department Proudly Presents…
Mary Poppins Jr.
November 14-18, 2018
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
This year, the only way to purchase tickets is through our online system which will be available November 1st by clicking on https://app.arts-people.com/index.php?show=93574 or visit our theatre website for the link to purchase tickets. https://sites.google.com/site/sjlsmusicaltheater/.
Tickets are $12. We anticipate that the tickets will sell quickly. If you don’t have online access, please stop by the church office to obtain your tickets.
Thank you for supporting our St. John’s Theatre Department!
- Mary Poppins Sewing/Craft Projects… If you sew or do crafts, then we ask you to consider helping with our production of Mary Poppins Jr.. Please look at the list below and let us know if you can help. We know you will find it a blessing to work with our school and be a part of this amazing production!
Thanks for your consideration!
Please contact Joanna Cucco at email@example.com
- Relatively simple skirts, from pattern. There are 16 of these, which could be shared between volunteers.
- Easy felt tunics for chorus kids, with stripe decoration (honeybees). 15 total, but if we can recruit 2 volunteers, shared between volunteers – girls (8) and boys (7).
- Honeybee antennae headbands (15).
- There may be a couple of hat decoration projects, too.
- And, finally, we’re still hoping not to make Mary Poppins’ base costume from scratch, but the pattern is on the way. So, a confident sewer would be helpful for that – it’s a jacket and skirt from pattern.
- Attention all Quilters: We are going on a Quilt Quest, on Saturday the of 10th of November. We’ll be going to a shop in Danville, and Lafayette, leaving at 8:30am and return at 4:pm with a stop for lunch. Any interested let us know, 707 815-7037. Lois Johnson
- Money For Schools: All locations of Copperfield’s Books will be having a Fundraising Weekend on November 2nd-4th. All you need to do is mention St. John’s Lutheran School in Napa, CA and 20% of your purchase will be donated back to our school. Plan ahead for your holiday purchases, and if books are in your plans, stop by Copperfield’s and get a jump start on your holiday shopping. If you would like a flyer, one is attached. They are also available on our web page and in the school and church office.
- St. John’s Mission Farm: The Mission Farm will again participate in this campaign to raise funds for non-profits offering services in the Valley. Click here for more information. Currently, we have raised about 12,000 lbs. of fresh vegetables and fruit this year for the Food Bank. It is a little less than the two previous years, but still very remarkable! We still have some harvest being gathered, although at a reduced scale. So we may get close to 14,000 lbs.
- Stephen Ministry Training Continues… This coming week the Stephen Ministry training class at St. John’s will be considering the subject of “Bringing the Caring Relationship to a Close.” In this presentation they will be considering how the sometimes difficult process of bringing a caring relationship to a close can instead be turned into a relationship-strengthening event. Those who are participating in Stephen Ministry training are excited about what they are learning and about the ministries they are anticipating. We look forward to the work of our Stephen Ministers among us. For more information about Stephen Ministry contact Pam Barker, Penni Cremen, or Pastor Mark.
- Attention all AMAZON Users! Please consider using “Amazon Smile” when you place your orders, designating St. John’s Lutheran Church fund. (There is no additional cost to you!) Just click on the link below and place your order. It is that simple! https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-6001864
GOD GIVES US THE PRIVILEGE OF SERVING AS HIS MESSENGERS TO MAKE THE GOSPEL KNOWN TO PEOPLE ALL OVER THE EARTH.
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” ~Matthew 28:19
- St. John’s Facilities Online Calendar: Looking for a room for a meeting or event? You can view this calendar online. Go to https://teamup.com/ks059311afd6a21c57 If you would like to book a room/location on campus for an event/meeting, please contact Christy Kramer at the church office to be added to the calendar. Please note: You may only use the facility if you have pre-reserved your requested room/location with Christy Kramer
- Mission India: Please keep this year’s Mission India Literacy trainers in your prayers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see www.missionindia.org.
- Aaron’s Blog: “Aaron returns to Las Vegas” Please click on this link http://napavalleycomfortdogs.org/2018/10/02/las-vegas-recovery/ to read about Team Aaron’s return to Las Vegas for the 1 year anniversary of the mass shooting.
- Aaron Comfort Dog… New team members are always welcome! Come join us and observe how this amazing ministry works. Please contact Tim or Christy Kramer if you would like to “shadow” during one of our events!
- Aaron Comfort Dog Contact Info: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages at AaronComfortDog.
- Ministry Opportunity: St. John’s participates in The Table ministry (based at First Presbyterian Church, 1333 Third St. in Napa) by cooking/serving a meal every month on the 2nd Friday. If you would like to help, please sign up for a shift (or multiple shifts) by clicking here! We thank you for your service. Your time and your talents are greatly appreciated. Blessings, The Table Team
- Recycle your Household Batteries at SJL: St. John’s Lutheran is working with Napa Recycling on collecting and disposing of any household batteries you may have; AAA, AA, C, D & 9 volt batteries. We will not accept automotive or drill batteries, only standard household batteries. Containers are available in the school office, church office, and Room 10.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Abide Daily Devotion… How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotions in your email each morning.