This Week’s Memory Verse
Call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor Me.” ~Psalm 50:15
This Sunday: We continue our worship series on the book of Exodus: “Our Deliverer.” The people of Israel, enslaved and oppressed in Egypt, needed a deliverer to come and save them. We are in need of a deliverer today as well. Thanks be to God that we have deliverance in Jesus Christ, our Savior. As we study the story of Moses and the Israelites, we will be reminded of our deliver, Jesus Christ, and the call to follow where He leads us.
The plagues were a call for Pharaoh and the Egyptians to repent. They were also an attack on the gods of Egypt. We are reminded this week that all idols disappoint. They are unable to deliver on the promises that they make. This was true of the gods of Egypt and it is true of the false gods and idols of today. The true God, however, is a Savior, keeping His promises, and providing eternal deliverance.
· Exodus 10
· Mark 10:17-27
· Abide Daily Devotion: How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotion in your email each morning. http://stjohnslutheran.net/abide-devotion/
· Baptism Workshop: Are you interested in Baptism for yourself or your child? Our next Baptism seminar, led by Pastor Mike and Pastor Mark, will be on Tuesday, October 14 at 6:30 PM in Room 8. Child care will be provided. Please contact the church office to RSVP.
· 6:00 PM Prayer Time: Our Lunch Bunch Bible Study group agreed to pray each evening at 6 PM for the safety of the U. S., our troops, our citizens, and our nation. We invite you to join us in prayer at this time wherever you are.
· Molly’s Angels is requesting that local churches help them provide Christmas gifts at their annual party in December for our Napa senior citizens on fixed incomes. Please consider donating items such as scarves, hats, gloves, jelly, craft items, kitchen towels, large print devotions, books, music, etc. Small gift bags are also needed for all the gifts. You will find a collection box in the Narthex.
· Sanctuary Choir practice is on Wednesdays, 7:00 PM in the Sanctuary. All are welcome!
· St. John’s Lutheran School proudly presents: Disney’s Peter Pan, Jr. is an adaptation of the classic 1953 animated feature film based on J. M. Barrie’s timeless story! Please join us November 5th-8th, 2014, in the SJL Parish Hall at 7pm. A potential Preview Performance is still TBD. Mark your calendars! Seating is limited. More information about purchasing tickets will come in the near future. Questions? Please contact Sarah Kramer. firstname.lastname@example.org or 226.7970. We can’t wait to see you there! Please see attached sheet.
· Usher Teams needed: We are in need of ushers for the 10:15 AM service. Usher teams serve approximately once a month, making this a convenient way to serve our Lord and His people. Please contact Gary Virkus or the church office if you can help with this ministry.
· Communion Wine Donations: We are welcoming wine donations. One to two bottles of wine are typically used for a service. Donations should be a minimum of two bottles. If you would like to donate wine, please make arrangements with Bob or Doris Klein before bringing the wine to the church. They can be reached at (707) 253-8625 or email@example.com.