• From Pastor Mike: I am so thankful for the prayers, visits, emails, texts, cards and concerns regarding my health and my visit to the hospital last weekend. I feel blessed and loved being part of this community! I want you to know that I’m feeling great and that all of the tests were negative. And of course, I’ll be following up with my doctor. I also am thankful for Pastor Mark for jumping in at the last moment, as well as last Sunday’s Worship Band (Dave and Monica Kirk, Thane Knutson, Mike Hardin, Melissa Heinemann and Teresa Schmid). Thanks be to God for His grace and His gifts!
• This Sunday: We are called to live “godly” lives, to be more like Jesus in our thoughts, words, and deeds. But what does this mean? What is God like? What is the godly, “Jesus” character to which we aspire? We continue with our series on the attributes of God, focusing primarily on those character attributes that God would work in us, so that, as Paul wrote to the Corinthians, we might be “Transformed into His Image.” God is patient. He is patient with His plan, and He is very patient with us. But God’s patience is not slowness. Rather it is His grace, as He does His work in our lives. We too are called to be patient. What does that mean? How is God’s patience to be reflected in my life?
• 1 Timothy 1:12-17
• 2 Peter 3:8-16
• Luke 8:4-15
• Confirmation Information Meeting: There will be an information meeting on Wednesday, August 27th at 7:00 PM in the Parish Hall for all parents and students interested in Confirmation ministry this year. We will present and discuss the goals of this ministry, the calendar for this year, as well as the costs that will be involved. Confirmation Ministry at St. John’s is a two-year program for those going into 7th or 8th grade. The purpose of the ministry is to disciple junior high students at this important time in their lives, and to prepare them for high school as Christian young men and women.
• Wednesday Morning Bible Class: This class, led by Pastor Mark, will begin again on Wednesday, September 3rd. This year we will be studying the book of Galatians. This is a detailed study as we work our way through this book verse by verse. All who are available on Wednesday mornings are welcome to join us. Class meets each Wednesday morning in Room 10 from 10:30 – 11:30.
• Understanding and Preventing Suicide: The St. John’s Disability Ministry Task force is presenting a two-part presentation on suicide on September 9 and 16 from 7:30 – 8:30 p.m. in the Parish Hall. The September 9th presentation will focus on understanding how people become at risk for suicide, with the September 16th presentation focusing on suicide prevention. The presentations will be made by church member Dr. Robert Horon, who is a clinical psychologist, suicidological researcher, and a member of the American Association of Suicidology These presentations are free to the public.
• Sanctuary Choir: Practice resumes on Wednesday, August 27th at 7:30 PM in the Sanctuary. All are welcome!
• Youth Events: [Abide] Sr. High meets 7:00 PM on Sundays in the Parish Hall; Ablaze Jr. High will meet on September 19th at 5:00 PM for “summer camp” and Club 56 for 5th and 6th graders will meet September 10th at 5:00 PM for “Spy Night”.
• Parents with young children: We are looking to form a group that will allow us to fellowship and grow in our relationship with Christ. We would like to meet as a group to brainstorm how to move forward with this exciting new opportunity. Please join us for our first, casual meeting on Sunday, September 14 from 5-7 PM at the home of Thane and Sarah Knutson (2074 Aragon Court) with childcare and food provided. RSVP to Thane and Sarah Knutson at email@example.com or 707-501-8484.
• K-9 Comfort Dog Ministry Update: Would you like to be a part of this amazing ministry? It is time to assemble our team! Please plan to attend one of the important, upcoming meetings to receive information and LCC required application forms for handler and caregiver candidates. If you cannot attend one of these meetings, but would like to participate, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer at the church office.
o Sunday, August 24th after each service, in the Parish Hall
o Tuesday, August 26th at 7:00 PM in Room 10.
• St. John’s Lutheran School proudly presents: Disney’s Peter Pan, Jr. An adaptation of the classic 1953 animated feature film based on J. M. Barrie’s timeless story! Please join us November 5th-8th, 2014, in the SJL Parish Hall at 7pm. A potential Preview Performance is still TBD. Mark your calendars! Seating is limited. More information about purchasing tickets will come in the near future. Questions? Please contact Sarah Kramer. firstname.lastname@example.org or 226.7970. We can’t wait to see you there!
• Dine and Donate for Peter Pan Jr.: At Mary’s Pizza Shack on Wednesday, September 3rd, to raise money for Peter Pan Jr.! Look for the attached flyer and at St. John’s. Please bring your family and friends! Thanks in advance for supporting our school’s theatre department!
• Usher Teams needed: We are in need of ushers for the 10:15 AM service. Usher teams serve approximately once a month, making this a convenient way to serve our Lord and His people. Please contact Gary Virkus or the church office if you can help with this ministry.
• Musicians Needed: Our worship band ministry is looking for additional musicians, primarily bass players and drummers. If you have such a talent or know someone who may be interested (does not have to be a member!), please contact Pastor Mike.
• Communion Wine Donations: We are welcoming wine donations. One to two bottles of wine are typically used for a service. Donations should be a minimum of two bottles. If you would like to donate wine, please make arrangements with Bob or Doris Klein before bringing the wine to the church. They can be reached at (707) 253-8625 or email@example.com.