Our streaming services are really about home worship. Sign in alone, gather with your family and join in. These services are interactive, involving sharing together, praying together, discussing the God’s Word together, and – if you desire – singing together. The live stream is here to guide and support your worship in your home.
The live stream worship will involve a live text chat. This is an important part of connecting with each other and sharing our input, feedback and prayer needs.
Sunday, July 5, at 10:30 AM
David and Samuel
This Sunday we focus on the account of Samuel being sent by God to the home of Jesse to anoint one of his sons as the new king. Being guided by outward appearance, Samuel believes God is going to choose the oldest and tallest son. The Lord informs him that he doesn’t look at the outward appearance, but rather looks on the heart. God chooses the smallest and youngest, David. The phrase “the Lord looks at the heart” is a frightening reality, because the Lord sees each sinful and selfish desire of our heart. That is why we need the Son of David, Christ the Lord. He came to pay the penalty for our hearts and by His Spirit reclaims our hearts for faithful worship and service.
Worship Notes for July 5
Family and Children Resources
We are pleased to offer several resources for families, parents and children
- “Family Faith Night” This is a Christ-centered family time of word, prayer and activity for parents and small children. Watch the e-vine for a new “Family Faith Night” each week. Here is this week’s: http://stjohnslutheran.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Family-Faith-Nights-Week-4.pdf
- “Parenting Christian Kids” This is a monthly newsletter with helpful input for parents as they seek to nurture the spiritual growth of their children. Click here for the July issue: http://stjohnslutheran.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Parenting-Christian-Kids-July-2020.pdf
- “Children’s Church Lesson.” This is a weekly Sunday School/Children’s church type lesson for parents to lead with small children. Please use this at home during this time when we are unable to offer our regular children’s church. Here is this week’s: http://stjohnslutheran.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/CC-Lesson6-Josiah-Promises-to-Follow-the-Lord.pdf
The July 12 1030 service will include Holy Communion
For those who are streaming, we will be celebrating the Lord’s Supper on July 12th in the same way that we have been during these days of quarantine. Please to go this page on our website for information regarding Holy Communion at St. John’s during COVID-19, as well as how to prepare. http://stjohnslutheran.net/the-lords-supper-at-st-johns-during-the-covid-19-crisis/ Also, take a look at this video with an explanation by Pastor Mike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNK0XJhQzRQ
Wednesday Night Worship
July 8, 7:00 PM
“Come, Follow Me, Part 2”
Next Wednesday we will continue to focus on Matthew 4:18-25, and the calling of the first disciples. As Pastor Mike observes the 30th anniversary of his ordination, he will tell the story of his own call: How the Lord called him back to faith as an adult, and how the Lord called him into ministry.
Preparing for Live Stream Worship
Normally when we prepare for worship, we need to shower, get dressed, get in our cars and drive to the sanctuary. You don’t need to do any of that for the home-based streaming worship at St. John’s. But there is still some preparation (which won’t take as long as the items mentioned above!)
- Download the worship notes for the service. The worship notes contain the reading and other items for worship. The notes also include the reflection and discussion questions, as well as suggestions for singing. If you will be participating on your phone or pad, you should print the handout because you will not be able to switch windows and keep the youtube live going.
- Sign up for a google or gmail account if you do not already have one. In order to take part in the Live Chat with You Tube, you need to have a google or gmail account. It doesn’t take long to set it up. For a guide to signing up, please go here: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/56256?hl=en If you don’t want to see the chat feed, or you want to turn it off for part of the service, just click the “hide chat” button at the bottom of the feed. When you want to see the feed again, click the “show chat” button at the top.
- Prepare a comfortable place to worship. Plan to be totally engaged. Remove other things that may distract you. You may want to light a candle or use some other means of recognizing that this is a time for worship.
- Pray that the Lord prepare your heart. Perhaps the most important step. This is an very different way to worship, so we should pray for the Holy Spirit’s present and guidance.
If you need help with any of these steps, please contact Pastor Mike. He or someone else will assist you.
Previous Streaming Service
Sunday June 14
Full Service: https://youtu.be/pTGp6z5gQpY
Sermon and Interviews: https://youtu.be/41qUJBQn_kM
Race and Grace 1: Questions for Reflection and Discussion plus Resources