**Please Forgive the lateness of this newsletter, our mailing service was experiencing some technical difficulties**
This Week’s Memory Verse
When Jesus spoke again to the people, He said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” ~John 8:12
As We Gather
Jesus made radical claims regarding His identity and His mission. Jesus tells us who He is, making use of powerful images that point us toward who He is, and what it means to follow Him. We continue our series focusing on the “I Am” claims of Jesus in the Gospel of John. As we unpack these images in the coming weeks, may the Holy Spirit lead us not only to a deeper understanding of who Jesus is, but also who we are as His followers.
Sunday, we focus on Jesus’ claim that He is the Shepherd. His words today emphasize the relationship that He has with us. He is the Good Shepherd who not only provides for His sheep; He lovingly lays down His life for them. And we as His sheep hear His voice that we might follow Him.
Old Testament Ezekiel 34:11-24
Psalm: Psalm 23
Gospel John 10:11-30
Children’s Church Teachers: Joy Dahl, Lindsey Engelbracht, Scott Zimmerman
- Trunk or Treat… Sunday, October 28, 2018 from 5:00-6:45pm in the Parish Hall at St. John’s. People gather and park their cars in a large parking lot. They open their trunks, or the backs of their vehicles, and decorate them. Then they pass out candy or other treats from their trunks. The event provides a safe family environment for trick or treaters. You should plan on having enough treats for at least 100-150 children. For more information please contact Janis @707-226-7970 ext. 107 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
“This little light of mine……..I’m gonna let it shine!” 🎃
We now have a Sign-Up page for Trunk or Treat Volunteers! Help is needed in several different ways! Please find a way that you can serve our young families. Let’s make our lights shine for Jesus!!! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040D4FAAAA2BAB9-trunk
Or you can email Janis King at email@example.com or call 707.226.7970 ext 107
- Youth News
CREW 34! Wow! Last time was so much fun. We are learning about different Special Agents that God used in the Bible and how we can be ready for God to use us.
CLUB 56 is back in action this week! We have been having a blast recently as we’ve been learning who we are in Christ. Come on out this Tuesday to get in on the action from 6:00-7:30pm!
ABIDE is following the “I AM” series very closely as we aim to find out more about God each day. Join us this Thursday in the youth office from 7-9pm! Don’t miss out on Sunday Morning Hangouts at 9:30 am in the youth office.
- Mary Poppins Sewing/Craft Projects… If you sew or do crafts, then we ask you to consider helping with our production of Mary Poppins Jr.. Please look at the list below and let us know if you can help. We know you will find it a blessing to work with our school and be a part of this amazing production! Thanks for your consideration! Please contact Joanna Cucco at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Relatively simple skirts, from pattern. There are 16 of these, which could be shared between volunteers.
- Easy felt tunics for chorus kids, with stripe decoration (honeybees). 15 total, but if we can recruit 2 volunteers, shared between volunteers – girls (8) and boys (7).
- Honeybee antennae headbands (15).
- There may be a couple of hat decoration projects, too.
- And, finally, we’re still hoping not to make Mary Poppins’ base costume from scratch, but the pattern is on the way. So, a confident sewer would be helpful for that – it’s a jacket and skirt from pattern.
- Money For Schools: All locations of Copperfield’s Books will be having a Fundraising Weekend on November 2nd-4th. All you need to do is mention St. John’s Lutheran School in Napa, CA and 20% of your purchase will be donated back to our school. Plan ahead for your holiday purchases, and if books are in your plans, stop by Copperfield’s and get a jump start on your holiday shopping. If you would like a flyer, one is attached. They are also available on our web page and in the school and church office.
- Stephen Ministry Training Continues… This coming week the Stephen Ministry training class at St. John’s will be considering the subject of Ministering to Those Experiencing Grief. In this presentation they will be realizing that grief can be healthy and learning to recognize and help people through the various stages in the process of grieving. Those who are participating in Stephen Ministry training are excited about what they are learning and about the ministries they are anticipating. We look forward to the work of our Stephen Ministers among us. For more information about Stephen Ministry contact Pam Barker, Penni Cremen, or Pastor Mark.
- Attention all AMAZON Users! Please consider using “Amazon Smile” when you place your orders, designating St. John’s Lutheran Church fund. (There is no additional cost to you!) Just click on the link below and place your order. It is that simple! https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-6001864
HARD WORK AND AMBITION ARE COMMENDABLE CHRISTIAN VIRTUES, BUT WE MUST CAREFUL NOT TO ALLOW THEM TO BECOME SINFUL OBSESSIONS.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men ~(Colossians 3:23).
- Mission India: Please keep this year’s Mission India Literacy trainers in your prayers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see www.missionindia.org.
- St. John’s Facilities Online Calendar: Looking for a room for a meeting or event? You can view this calendar online. Go to https://teamup.com/ks059311afd6a21c57 If you would like to book a room/location on campus for an event/meeting, please contact Christy Kramer at the church office to be added to the calendar. Please note: You may only use the facility if you have pre-reserved your requested room/location with Christy Kramer
- Ministry Opportunity: St. John’s participates in The Table ministry (based at First Presbyterian Church, 1333 Third St. in Napa) by cooking/serving a meal every month on the 2nd Friday. If you would like to help, please sign up for a shift (or multiple shifts) by clicking here. We thank you for your service. Your time and your talents are greatly appreciated. Blessings, The Table Team
- Aaron’s Blog: “Aaron returns to Las Vegas” Please click on this link http://napavalleycomfortdogs.org/2018/10/02/las-vegas-recovery/ to read about Team Aaron’s return to Las Vegas for the 1 year anniversary of the mass shooting.
- Aaron Comfort Dog… New team members are always welcome! Come join us and observe how this amazing ministry works. Please contact Tim or Christy Kramer if you would like to “shadow” during one of our events!
- Aaron Comfort Dog Contact Info: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages at AaronComfortDog.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Recycle your Household Batteries at SJL: St. John’s Lutheran is working with Napa Recycling on collecting and disposing of any household batteries you may have; AAA, AA, C, D & 9 volt batteries. We will not accept automotive or drill batteries, only standard household batteries. Containers are available in the school office, church office, and Room 10.
- Abide Daily Devotion… How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotions in your email each morning.