This Week’s Memory Verse
Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to Me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in Me will never be thirsty. ~John 6:35
As We Gather
Jesus made radical claims regarding His identity and His mission. Jesus tells us who He is, making use of powerful images that point us toward who He is, and what it means to follow Him. We continue our series focusing on the “I Am” claims of Jesus in the Gospel of John. As we unpack these images in the coming weeks, may the Holy Spirit lead us not only to a deeper understanding of who Jesus is, but also who we are as His followers.
On Sunday, we will focus on Jesus the Light of the World. He has come to bring light to all darkness, the darkness in our world, as well as the darkness within us all. May He bless us with His light today that we may shine His light into our world.
Old Testament Reading Isaiah 9:1-2, 6-7
Psalm Psalm 119:105-112
Holy Gospel John 1:14, 8:12-20
Children’s Church Teachers: Janet Gates, Ramona Kaufmann, Kristi Carey, Danielle Irwin
- “This little light of mine……..I’m gonna let it shine!” 🎃
We now have a Sign-Up page for Trunk or Treat Volunteers! Help is needed in several different ways! Please find a way that you can serve our young families. Let’s make our lights shine for Jesus!!!
Or you can email Janis King at email@example.com or call 707.226.7970 ext 107
- Youth News
It is ABLAZE week again! We had a blast at Aegis Living last time, but this time we will be back at SJL. Bring a friend, bring your fun, and get excited to grow deeper alongside your friends. See y’all there from 6-7:30pm on Tuesday, October 16th!
ABIDE! This week we will not have our typical Thursday night gathering. Instead we will have a Tuesday night ABIDE at SJL a little earlier than usual. We will start at 6:45 so that we can mix in with ABLAZE for a bit. There will be an EPIC trivia battle between ABIDE & ABLAZE! Don’t forget about Sunday Morning Hangout at 9:30am on Sundays.
Calling all HIGH SCHOOLERS! The National Youth Gathering is approaching. If you are interested in attending or learning more please get in contact with Kevin Mathison. We will be registering our group very soon.
- Stephen Ministry Training Continues… .This coming week the Stephen Ministry training class at St. John’s will be considering the subject of Using Mental Health Professionals and Other Community Resources. In this presentation they will be discovering the many and varied resources that exist in our community to help meet people’s specific needs. Stephen Ministry is adding an important dimension to the ministry here at St. John’s. We thank God for this opportunity He has given us for growth and service. For more information about Stephen Ministry contact Pam Barker, Penni Cremen, or Pastor Mark.
- Attention all AMAZON Users! Please consider using “Amazon Smile” when you place your orders, designating St. John’s Lutheran Church fund. (There is no additional cost to you!) Just click on the link below and place your order. It is that simple! https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-6001864
AS SALT, OUR HIGHEST RESPONSIBILITY IS TO REACH LOST SOULS BY BRINGING THEM THE SAVING GOSPEL OF CHRIST.
You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? ~Matthew 5:13
- St. John’s Facilities Online Calendar: Looking for a room for a meeting or event? You can view this calendar online. Go to https://teamup.com/ks059311afd6a21c57 If you would like to book a room/location on campus for an event/meeting, please contact Christy Kramer at the church office to be added to the calendar. Please note: You may only use the facility if you have pre-reserved your requested room/location with Christy Kramer
- Mission India: Please keep this year’s Mission India Literacy trainers in your prayers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see www.missionindia.org.
- Aaron’s Blog: “Aaron returns to Las Vegas” Please click on this link http://napavalleycomfortdogs.org/2018/10/02/las-vegas-recovery/ to read about Team Aaron’s return to Las Vegas for the 1 year anniversary of the mass shooting.
- Aaron Comfort Dog… New team members are always welcome! Come join us and observe how this amazing ministry works. Please contact Tim or Christy Kramer if you would like to “shadow” during one of our events!
Aaron Comfort Dog’s Information
- Aaron Comfort Dog Contact Info: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages at AaronComfortDog.
- Ministry Opportunity: St. John’s participates in The Table ministry (based at First Presbyterian Church, 1333 Third St. in Napa) by cooking/serving a meal every month on the 2nd Friday. If you would like to help, please sign up for a shift (or multiple shifts) by clicking here. We thank you for your service. Your time and your talents are greatly appreciated. Blessings, The Table Team
- Recycle your Household Batteries at SJL: St. John’s Lutheran is working with Napa Recycling on collecting and disposing of any household batteries you may have; AAA, AA, C, D & 9 volt batteries. We will not accept automotive or drill batteries, only standard household batteries. Containers are available in the school office, church office, and Room 10.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Abide Daily Devotion… How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotions in your email each morning.