This Week’s Memory Verse
But as for me, I am filled with power, with the Spirit of the LORD, and with justice and might, to declare to Jacob his transgression, to Israel his sin. ~Micah 6:8
As We Gather
Our worship series this Lent will focus on the prayers of Paul for others. We will explore what was going on that prompted his prayers, and what were the things that he was led to pray for. And then we will apply these insights to our lives today. It is our goal that this study of Paul’s prayers will inform, deepen, strengthen, and bless our prayers for others in our lives today.
How do we pray for others? Paul prayed for the Ephesians that they would be empowered by God. But what does this mean? What are they to be empowered for? That they might grasp the limitless love of Christ, and so in all things be filled with the fullness of God. Paul’s prayer is a reminder and encouragement to pray this for others, that they would be empowered to know the love of Christ.
Old Testament Isaiah 43:1-13
Psalm: Psalm 19
Epistle Ephesians 3:14-23
Gospel John 15:1-8
Children’s Church Teachers: Joy Dahl, Lindsey Engelbracht, Janis King
- Called to Glory…The Lord called Clark Olson to Himself on Saturday, February 24. A memorial service will be held at St. John’s on Saturday, March 10 at 1:00 PM. Please pray for God’s comfort upon all who mourn.
- New Small Group: “Relationships: A Mess Worth Making” This group will be led by Steve and Judi Rock and will meet on Tuesdays starting March 6 from 7:00 – 8:30 for 6-8 weeks. The group will investigate what God’s Word says about our relationships. Jesus Christ has the last word on our message conflict-ridden relationships. He can use them to make you into someone who can give and receive love no matter the circumstances, as we seek to honor Him and serve others. If you are interested, contact the church office (firstname.lastname@example.org) or email Steve and Judi at email@example.com
- New Small Group: “A Fresh Look at Jesus.” This group will be led by Tom and Elaine Hoff and will meet on Thursdays starting March 8 from 7:00 – 8:30 for six weeks. The group will explore using your smartphone to study God’s Word, while studying the opening chapters of the Gospel of Mark. The group will be using the YouVersion App so you are encouraged to bring you smart phone or tablet. We will be learning tools that help us gain new insights as we read the Bible. If you are interested contact the church office (firstname.lastname@example.org) or email Tom and Elaine at email@example.com
- Lent Wednesday Worship Series . . Our series, “Signs of Lent” is based on road signs, and how their messages apply to our life in Christ. Each sign points to a truth to take to heart on our Lenten journey on the road to the cross. And each of these signs, as we encounter them on the real roads of our lives, can remind us of the greater journey that we are on. .Next week’s sign is the Yield Sign. (Wednesday, March 7th at 7:00 pm in the Sanctuary)
Lent Soup Suppers . . . We will be having soup suppers before the Wednesday evening services. Soup Supper is at 6:00 pm in the Parish Hall. Join us for Fun, Food and Fellowship! There is no charge for the meal; a freewill offering is accepted but not necessary.
- Second Sunday Potluck… Join us next Sunday for our monthly potluck at 11:30 AM in Room 10. Our theme this month is St. Patrick’s Day! Bring Irish food, something green to eat, or your favorite potluck food!
- Dine and Donate… Filippi’s Pizza Grotto will be hosting SJLS’s next Dine and Donate on Tuesday, March 13th from 11am-9pm. Eat in or Take Out, whichever works best for you. Present the attached flyer and enjoy lunch or dinner. 20% of all proceeds will be donated to the 5th grade Yosemite trip. Additional fliers are available in the school and church office as well as the school website www.stjohnsnapa.org.
- Bailey Spears, Youth Ministry Leader . . . Bailey Spears, a teacher in our preschool, is also working part-time with Youth Ministry at St. John’s. Bailey is heading up Club 56 (5th and 6th grade ministry) and Ablaze (7th and 8th grade ministry).
- Ninth Annual Ladies’ Tea… Mark your calendars for Saturday, March 3rd from 11 AM-2 PM. Cindy Watter, a master gardener, will be our guest speaker. Napa High’s Acapella Group, headed by Dave Ruane, will be singing for our entertainment.
- Worship Preparation Team Members Needed… Please consider joining our team! This important ministry needs some additional helpers – individuals, couples, families, friends! Many volunteers mean that you only have to serve one or two months each year, so grab a friend and contact Doris Klein and Betsy Gewirz or call the church office if you are able to serve our Lord in this way.
- Women’s Bible Study Please join us for a weekly Bible study on 1 John on Thursdays from 1 – 2:30 PM, in the sanctuary. All women are invited to this new ministry. Invite a friend! Bring your Bible or use one from the church. Notebooks and paper will be supplied. Refreshments will be served. Childcare is available with advance notice. Please RSVP to Teresa, Judi, or Pam (via text, phone, or email) so that we know how many chairs to set up. We hope to see you there!
Teresa Schmid 707-738-7554 firstname.lastname@example.org
Judi Rock 707-738-6707 Jbaboo1771@gmail.com
Pam Barker 707-225-4707 email@example.com.
- Main Event, Shamrock Shindig: SJL’s largest annual school fundraiser, is scheduled for Saturday, March 17th, with a St. Patrick’s Day theme. Please show your SJL support by:
- Purchasing Raffle Tickets – – Enter for a chance to win a TRIP FOR 2 TO IRELAND! $100 per entry. Winner can choose between a golf or non-golf themed adventure. Airfare not included. Drawing will be held 3/17/18. Winner need not be present to win.
- Make a Monetary Contribution to SJL’s Fund-a-Need
- Purchase Raffle Tickets & Contribute to Fund-a-Need @ www.sjls-apt.com
- Questions – Contact Dianna Messenger – firstname.lastname@example.org
- St. John’s Facilities Online Calendar: Looking for a room for a meeting or event? You can view this calendar online. Go to https://teamup.com/ks059311afd6a21c57 If you would like to book a room/location on campus for an event/meeting, please contact Christy Kramer at the church office to be added to the calendar. Please note: You may only use the facility if you have pre-reserved your requested room/location with Christy Kramer
- Mission India: Please keep this year’s Mission India Literacy trainers in your prayers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see www.missionindia.org.
- Aaron Comfort Dog… New team members are always welcome! Come join us and observe how this amazing ministry works. Please contact Tim or Christy Kramer if you would like to “shadow” during one of our events!
- Aaron Comfort Dog Contact Info: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages at AaronComfortDog.
- Ministry Opportunity: St. John’s participates in The Table ministry (based at First Presbyterian Church, 1333 Third St. in Napa) by cooking/serving a meal every month on the 2nd Friday. If you would like to help, please sign up for a shift (or multiple shifts) by clicking here. We thank you for your service. Your time and your talents are greatly appreciated. Blessings, The Table Team
- Recycle your Household Batteries at SJL: St. John’s Lutheran is working with Napa Recycling on collecting and disposing of any household batteries you may have; AAA, AA, C, D & 9 volt batteries. We will not accept automotive or drill batteries, only standard household batteries. Containers are available in the school office, church office, and Room 10.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Abide Daily Devotion… How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotions in your email each morning.