This Week’s Memory Verse
I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. ~1 Corinthians 3:6-7
As We Gather
Paul warns his readers (and us!) about pursuing the “wisdom of the age.” Instead, he says, we should become “fools” in the eyes of the world, for this is the path of true wisdom, the wisdom of God. For the Corinthians, wisdom was seen in philosophical knowledge coupled with oratorical and rhetorical skill. To be considered wise was to be considered a success, to have arrived at the highest esteem of the culture. What is the wisdom of our age? What does our age consider “success”? Are we aware of how we may be pursuing that “wisdom” instead of the wisdom of God? What does the Word say to us about “success” in the eyes of God?
Old Testament Daniel 7:9-10, 13-14
Psalm: Psalm 119:9-16
Epistle 1 Corinthians 3:18-4:5
Gospel Matthew 25:31-46
Children’s Church… Sarah Santora
Worship in the Faith Chapel . . . We will be worshiping in the Faith Chapel on July 15th and 22nd. Services will be at the regular times.
Stephen Ministry – Ready? Set? Minister!…Riding a bike. Using a new computer program. Ironing a shirt. Training is important whenever anyone learns a new skill. Training is important in Stephen Ministry too. Before Stephen Leaders and Stephen Ministers begin their work, they go through a lot of training. When they start their official ministry, they are ready. Training for our first Stephen Ministers begins in August. For more information about Stephen Ministry contact Pam Barker, Penni Cremen, or Pastor Mark.
WITH GOD’S POWER WITHIN
US, WE ARE EMPOWERED
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! ~2 Corinthians 5:17
- If you were impacted directly or indirectly by the October 2017 fires – Please Read…Napa County may be eligible for housing related disaster relief funding. In order to qualify for funding, the County must demonstrate the economic impacts the 2017 wildfires had on the local workforce and businesses. The County is requesting public participation via survey from individuals impacted by the disaster–whether as a home owner, renter, employee, business owner or employer. Your participation is greatly appreciated, and will support Napa County’s application for funding. The survey is anonymous and no personal or identifiable information (name, address, place of employment etc.) is requested. The survey is available in both English and Spanish. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2017FireImpactCOAD
- Coffee Hour… Since there has been little response for additional help, coffee hour is being discontinued for now. We need people to commit for a year to this hospitality ministry. We are looking for 8 teams so each team would serve one Sunday every 2 months. See Susan or Bill Clark for more information. 253-2477 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spanish Teacher Needed – St. John’s Lutheran School has an opening for a 5th – 8th grade Spanish teacher. It is for approximately 10 hours a week. Middle School teaching experience is preferred. Contact the school office if you know of someone (226-7970).
- Will You Leave A Legacy As A Disciple Of Christ?… Your help is needed in Children’s Ministry at St John’s Lutheran Church. We are currently looking for some additional Children’s Church Leaders. What’s required for the job? A love for Jesus and a love for children! We provide the resources for what you teach(the curriculum). Your commitment is usually for one Sunday a month during the 10:15 am worship service. Please contact Janis King immediately! Thank you for prayerfully considering this special opportunity as a disciple of Christ!
- Youth Events: Abide (High School) will meet on Thursday, July 19th at 7:00 PM for Bible study, games, & snacks. We are studying the Gospel of Mark. Join us at the Hoffs’, 10 Glen Court, Napa, CA. For questions, contact Elaine Hoff at 707-227-2588.
- St. John’s Facilities Online Calendar: Looking for a room for a meeting or event? You can view this calendar online. Go to https://teamup.com/ks059311afd6a21c57 If you would like to book a room/location on campus for an event/meeting, please contact Christy Kramer at the church office to be added to the calendar. Please note: You may only use the facility if you have pre-reserved your requested room/location with Christy Kramer
- Mission India: Please keep this year’s Mission India Literacy trainers in your prayers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see www.missionindia.org.
- Aaron Comfort Dog… New team members are always welcome! Come join us and observe how this amazing ministry works. Please contact Tim or Christy Kramer if you would like to “shadow” during one of our events!
- Aaron Comfort Dog Contact Info: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages at AaronComfortDog.
- Ministry Opportunity: St. John’s participates in The Table ministry (based at First Presbyterian Church, 1333 Third St. in Napa) by cooking/serving a meal every month on the 2nd Friday. If you would like to help, please sign up for a shift (or multiple shifts) by clicking here! We thank you for your service. Your time and your talents are greatly appreciated. Blessings, The Table Team
- Recycle your Household Batteries at SJL: St. John’s Lutheran is working with Napa Recycling on collecting and disposing of any household batteries you may have; AAA, AA, C, D & 9 volt batteries. We will not accept automotive or drill batteries, only standard household batteries. Containers are available in the school office, church office, and Room 10.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Abide Daily Devotion… How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotions in your email each morning.