This Week’s Memory Verse
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. ~Matthew 11:28
As We Gather
Jesus appeared to Peter, James and John in all His transfigured glory. And as if that weren’t enough, Moses and Elijah appeared alongside Him. And to top it all off, the Father spoke aloud, pointing to Jesus, and calling all to listen to Him. After this overwhelming display of glory, though, why did Jesus instruct His disciples not to tell anyone about it? They were to keep the incident to themselves until the resurrection. Why?
Sunday, we consider the danger of making up our own Jesus to suit our preferences and lifestyle choices. Instead of being conformed into His image, we are faced with the temptation to remake Jesus into our image. The Father speaks to us today, pointing us to His Son, the real Son, and calling on us to listen to Him. What does this mean for us today?
Old Testament Exodus 34:29-35
Psalm: Psalm 50:1-6
Epistle 2 Corinthians 3:12-4:6
Gospel Mark 9:2-9
Children’s Church Teachers: Erika Boudreaux, Teresa Schmid, Jenny Gass
- Lent Wednesday Worship Series . . Our series, “Signs of Lent” is based on road signs, and how their messages apply to our life in Christ. Each sign points to a truth to take to heart on our Lenten journey on the road to the cross. And each of these signs, as we encounter them on the real roads of our lives, can remind us of the greater journey that we are on. . (Wednesdays February 14 – March 21. 7:00 pm in the Sanctuary)
- Ash Wednesday Worship . . . Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the season of Lent. We will have four opportunities to worship. Imposition of ashes will be available at all services.
- 7:00 AM A devotional service designed for staff, but all are welcome
- 8:40 AM School Chapel service. All are welcome
- 1:00 PM “Signs of Lent” Service. The Sign this week is “U-turn. This is a Communion service.
- 7:00 PM Also a “Sign of Lent” service.
Lent Soup Suppers . . .
- We will be having soup suppers before the Wednesday evening service beginning on February 21. (No Soup Supper on Ash Wednesday.) Soup Supper is at 6:00 pm in the Parish Hall. Join us for Fun, Food and Fellowship! There is no charge for the meal; a freewill offering is accepted but not necessary.
Ash Wednesday is on Valentine’s Day, so there will NOT be a soup supper that night.
Soup Supper Schedule:
- February 21 Hosts: Ron & Lois Johnson
- February 28 Hosted by the Choir
- March 7 TBD
- March 14 Hosted by Team Aaron
- March 21 Julie Johnson
If your are interested in serving on March 7 or March 21, please talk to Teresa Schmid (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Christy in the church office. Thanks and hope to see you there!
- Second Sunday Potluck… Join us February 11th at 11:30 AM in Room 10 for our monthly potluck. Our theme for February is “Red for Valentine’s Day”.
- Ruth Karsten Memorial Service… The memorial service will be on Saturday, February 17 at 2:00 PM in the sanctuary.
- Bailey Spears, Youth Ministry Leader . . . Bailey Spears, a teacher in our preschool, will also be working part-time with Youth Ministry at St. John’s beginning next month. Bailey will be heading up Club 56 (5th and 6th grade ministry) and Ablaze (7th and 8th grade ministry). Club 56 will resume on Tuesday, February 27 from 6:00-7:30 in Room 10. Ablaze will resume on Thursday, March 1, from 6:00 – 7:30 in Room 10. Please keep Bailey in your prayers as she begins this work.
- Thank you from the Schmid Family . . .The Schmid family wishes to express our thanks for the prayers and support from the St. John Community during the illness of our wife, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother, Genevieve Pellow Schmid. The outpouring of love from you sustained us during a very difficult time. The prayers and goodness of the church family continued after we lost her on Christmas Eve. We will never forget your kindness and the donations that were made in her name to charities specified in her obituary. We are also grateful for the amazing love and care that you extended to our beloved family members of your community: Pastor Mike, Teresa, Erika, Andrew, Elora, Orion, Heidi, Chris, Danika and Brandon. We know that you were there to provide a shoulder to cry on, a hug when it was needed and anything they required to ease their pain. For that, we will be forever grateful. God Bless you all. Robert Schmid and the entire Schmid Family
- Communion Learning Event… Instruction for preparing to receive Holy Communion for sixth, seventh, and eighth graders with their parents will be held on three Monday evenings, March 5, 12, and 19, 2018 from 7:00 – 9:00 PM. A letter and registration form was sent out to those in the 6th – 8th grades who have not yet participated in this learning event. If you did not receive this letter, please contact Pastor Mark so that one can be sent to you. First Communion will be on Maundy Thursday, March 29th in the 7:00 PM service.
- Ninth Annual Ladies’ Tea… Mark your calendars for Saturday, March 3rd from 11 AM-2 PM. Cindy Watter, a master gardener, will be our guest speaker. Napa High’s Acapella Group, headed by Dave Ruane, will be singing for our entertainment.
- Worship Preparation Team Members Needed… Please consider joining our team! This important ministry needs some additional helpers – individuals, couples, families, friends! Many volunteers mean that you only have to serve one or two months each year, so grab a friend and contact Doris Klein and Betsy Gewirz or call the church office if you are able to serve our Lord in this way.
- Women’s Bible Study Please join us for a weekly Bible study on 1 John on Thursdays from 1 – 2:30 PM, in the sanctuary. All women are invited to this new ministry. Invite a friend! Bring your Bible or use one from the church. Notebooks and paper will be supplied. Refreshments will be served. Childcare is available with advance notice. Please RSVP to Teresa, Judi, or Pam (via text, phone, or email) so that we know how many chairs to set up. We hope to see you there!
Teresa Schmid 707-738-7554 email@example.com
Judi Rock 707-738-6707 Jbaboo1771@gmail.com
Pam Barker 707-225-4707 firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Main Event, Shamrock Shindig: SJL’s largest annual school fundraiser, is scheduled for Saturday, March 17th, with a St. Patrick’s Day theme. Please show your SJL support by:
- Donating an Auction Item – – We are seeking donations that will be auctioned off in our silent and live auction.
- Purchase Raffle Tickets – – Enter for a chance to win a TRIP FOR 2 TO IRELAND! $100 per entry. Winner can choose between a golf or non-golf themed adventure. Airfare not included. Drawing will be held 3/17/18. Winner need not be present to win.
- Donate an Auction Item & Purchase Raffle Tickets @ www.sjls-apt.com
- Questions – Contact Dianna Messenger – email@example.com
- St. John’s Facilities Online Calendar: Looking for a room for a meeting or event? You can view this calendar online. Go to https://teamup.com/ks059311afd6a21c57 If you would like to book a room/location on campus for an event/meeting, please contact Christy Kramer at the church office to be added to the calendar. Please note: You may only use the facility if you have pre-reserved your requested room/location with Christy Kramer
- Mission India: Please keep this year’s Mission India Literacy trainers in your prayers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see www.missionindia.org.
- Aaron Comfort Dog… New team members are always welcome! Come join us and observe how this amazing ministry works. Please contact Tim or Christy Kramer if you would like to “shadow” during one of our events!
- Aaron Comfort Dog Contact Info: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages at AaronComfortDog.
- Ministry Opportunity: St. John’s participates in The Table ministry (based at First Presbyterian Church, 1333 Third St. in Napa) by cooking/serving a meal every month on the 2nd Friday. If you would like to help, please sign up for a shift (or multiple shifts) by clicking here. We thank you for your service. Your time and your talents are greatly appreciated. Blessings, The Table Team
- Recycle your Household Batteries at SJL: St. John’s Lutheran is working with Napa Recycling on collecting and disposing of any household batteries you may have; AAA, AA, C, D & 9 volt batteries. We will not accept automotive or drill batteries, only standard household batteries. Containers are available in the school office, church office, and Room 10.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Abide Daily Devotion… How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotions in your email each morning.