This Week’s Memory Verse
We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in Him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ. ~2 Thessalonians 1:12
As We Gather
Our worship series this Lent will focus on the prayers of Paul for others. We will explore what was going on that prompted his prayers, and what were the things that he was led to pray for. And then we will apply these insights to our lives today. It is our goal that this study of Paul’s prayers will inform, deepen, strengthen, and bless our prayers for others in our lives today.
How do we pray for others? Paul’s prayer for the Colossians is that their lives would please the Lord in every way. What does this mean? He goes on in his prayer to pray that they would be filled with the knowledge of His will, that they would bear fruit in every good work, that they have great endurance and patience, and would be move to joyfully give thanks to the Lord for the inheritance they have in Him. Paul’s prayer is a reminder and encouragement to pray for others that they would please the Lord in every way.
Old Testament Micah 6:6-8
Psalm: Psalm 15
Epistle Colossians 1:3-14
Gospel John 14:15-27
Children’s Church Teachers: Kelsey Uffmann & Kristi Carey & Danielle Irwin
- Lent Wednesday Worship Series . . Our series, “Signs of Lent” is based on road signs, and how their messages apply to our life in Christ. Each sign points to a truth to take to heart on our Lenten journey on the road to the cross. And each of these signs, as we encounter them on the real roads of our lives, can remind us of the greater journey that we are on. .Next week’s sign is fthe MERGE Sign. (Wednesday, February 28. 7:00 pm in the Sanctuary)
Lent Soup Suppers . . . We will be having soup suppers before the Wednesday evening service beginning on February 21. Soup Supper is at 6:00 pm in the Parish Hall. Join us for Fun, Food and Fellowship! There is no charge for the meal; a freewill offering is accepted but not necessary.
- Bailey Spears, Youth Ministry Leader . . . Bailey Spears, a teacher in our preschool, will also be working part-time with Youth Ministry at St. John’s beginning next month. Bailey will be heading up Club 56 (5th and 6th grade ministry) and Ablaze (7th and 8th grade ministry). Club 56 will resume on Tuesday, February 27 from 6:00-7:30 in Room 10. Ablaze will resume on Thursday, March 1, from 6:00 – 7:30 in Room 10. Please keep Bailey in your prayers as she begins this work.
- Communion Learning Event… Instruction for preparing to receive Holy Communion for sixth, seventh, and eighth graders with their parents will be held on three Monday evenings, March 5, 12, and 19, 2018 from 7:00 – 9:00 PM. A letter and registration form was sent out to those in the 6th – 8th grades who have not yet participated in this learning event. If you did not receive this letter, please contact Pastor Mark so that one can be sent to you. First Communion will be on Maundy Thursday, March 29th in the 7:00 PM service.
- SJLS Annual Tomato Plant Sale: Wild Boar Farms has once again offered us to do a great fundraising project with them. 30% of all tomato plant sales will be donated to our A.P.T. program. Order forms are attached or are available in the school office as well as on our website, www.stjohnsnapa.org. Order forms must be turned in to the school office no later than February 23rd. Expected delivery will be the end of April. Please make checks payable to SJLS.
The plants available are all locally grown, and most are locally bred varieties that Wild Boar Farms has created. You will find cherry tomatoes, open pollinated tomatoes, some hybrid varieties, as well as some of our some of our Blue tomato varieties, Indigo Apple, Blue Beauty and Blue Boar Berries. For pictures and descriptions please visitwww.wildboarfarms.com and click on Plant Fundraisers then click on the “click here to view & print the current fundraising assortment”.
- Ninth Annual Ladies’ Tea… Mark your calendars for Saturday, March 3rd from 11 AM-2 PM. Cindy Watter, a master gardener, will be our guest speaker. Napa High’s Acapella Group, headed by Dave Ruane, will be singing for our entertainment.
- Worship Preparation Team Members Needed… Please consider joining our team! This important ministry needs some additional helpers – individuals, couples, families, friends! Many volunteers mean that you only have to serve one or two months each year, so grab a friend and contact Doris Klein and Betsy Gewirz or call the church office if you are able to serve our Lord in this way.
- Women’s Bible Study Please join us for a weekly Bible study on 1 John on Thursdays from 1 – 2:30 PM, in the sanctuary. All women are invited to this new ministry. Invite a friend! Bring your Bible or use one from the church. Notebooks and paper will be supplied. Refreshments will be served. Childcare is available with advance notice. Please RSVP to Teresa, Judi, or Pam (via text, phone, or email) so that we know how many chairs to set up. We hope to see you there!
Teresa Schmid 707-738-7554 email@example.com
Judi Rock 707-738-6707 Jbaboo1771@gmail.com
Pam Barker 707-225-4707 firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SJLS’s largest annual fundraiser is in one month! We are planning a fun-filled St. Patrick’s Day themed event, on Saturday, March 17th, to raise funds for SJL’s Association of Parents & Teachers (APT). It’s an evening of celebration and FUN-draising! We need help with donations…if you are a business and would like to donate, please let us know! Also, if you would like to volunteer your time on the night of the event, we need help then as well. If you have questions – Contact Main Event Co-chair: Dianna Messenger – email@example.com or call the school office (226-7970).
- St. John’s Facilities Online Calendar: Looking for a room for a meeting or event? You can view this calendar online. Go to https://teamup.com/ks059311afd6a21c57 If you would like to book a room/location on campus for an event/meeting, please contact Christy Kramer at the church office to be added to the calendar. Please note: You may only use the facility if you have pre-reserved your requested room/location with Christy Kramer
- Mission India: Please keep this year’s Mission India Literacy trainers in your prayers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see www.missionindia.org.
- Aaron Comfort Dog… New team members are always welcome! Come join us and observe how this amazing ministry works. Please contact Tim or Christy Kramer if you would like to “shadow” during one of our events!
- Aaron Comfort Dog Contact Info: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages at AaronComfortDog.
- Ministry Opportunity: St. John’s participates in The Table ministry (based at First Presbyterian Church, 1333 Third St. in Napa) by cooking/serving a meal every month on the 2nd Friday. If you would like to help, please sign up for a shift (or multiple shifts) by clicking here. We thank you for your service. Your time and your talents are greatly appreciated. Blessings, The Table Team
- Recycle your Household Batteries at SJL: St. John’s Lutheran is working with Napa Recycling on collecting and disposing of any household batteries you may have; AAA, AA, C, D & 9 volt batteries. We will not accept automotive or drill batteries, only standard household batteries. Containers are available in the school office, church office, and Room 10.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Abide Daily Devotion… How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotions in your email each morning.