This Week’s Memory Verse
Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. ~Galatians 5:24-25
As We Gather
What does the Gospel mean for how we handle disputes among us? We have been reconciled to God through the cross of Christ. What difference does this make for seeking reconciliation with others? What happens to our witness when we fail to live in reconciliation, sharing the grace of God with each other?
There were disputes among the members of the Corinthian church. Some of these had even led to lawsuits, but Paul’s harsh words about the Corinthians go much deeper than the presence of legal action. Their failure to reconcile showed that they were “defeated already”. We are Gospel people, called to live Gospel lives with each other, especially our brothers and sisters in Christ.
Old Testament Genesis 50:15-21
Psalm: Psalm 133
Epistle 1 Corinthians 6:1-11
Gospel Matthew 5:21-26
Children’s Church… Joy Dahl & Lindsey Engelbracht
- Stephen Ministry –Control: To exercise directing influence, power, and authority over conditions…Humans like to be in control, having the power to choose exactly what is going to happen and when. Unfortunately, life isn’t like that – we only think we’re in control. So when something happens and we realize we’re not in control, we feel lost, overwhelmed, angry, even terrified. Stephen Ministers are trained to help when things are out of control. They provide support and encouragement while helping a person put faith and trust in God. Training for our first Stephen Ministers begins August 23. For more information about Stephen Ministry contact Pam Barker, Penni Cremen, or Pastor Mark.
- Growth Group Worship Series – I AM: The Radical Claim that Changes Everything (September 30-November 11, 2018) – Our fall worship series will focus on the “I am” statements of Jesus in the Gospel of John. This series will involve not only Sunday Worship, but also a Growth Group gathering during the week. The purpose of the Growth Group is to grow in friendship, to grow in God’s Word, and to positively impact the world.
Needed: H.O.S.T.S. We are looking for people to serve as a H.O.S.T. for these groups. This is a great way to start a growth Group without having to worry about being a good enough teacher or Bible Scholar. We are looking for people who are hospitable to host groups in their homes. The teaching will be done with video. The H.O.S.T. will facilitate discussion with provided questions based on video teachings. Training will be provided on Tuesday, August 28 at 7:00 PM in Room 10. An additional session will be scheduled if needed. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Pastor Mike (email@example.com)
- If you were impacted directly or indirectly by the October 2017 fires – Please Read…Napa County may be eligible for housing related disaster relief funding. In order to qualify for funding, the County must demonstrate the economic impacts the 2017 wildfires had on the local workforce and businesses. The County is requesting public participation via survey from individuals impacted by the disaster–whether as a home owner, renter, employee, business owner or employer. Your participation is greatly appreciated, and will support Napa County’s application for funding. The survey is anonymous and no personal or identifiable information (name, address, place of employment etc.) is requested. The survey is available in both English and Spanish. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2017FireImpactCOAD
- Coffee Hour… Since there has been little response for additional help, coffee hour is being discontinued for now. We need people to commit for a year to this hospitality ministry. We are looking for 8 teams so each team would serve one Sunday every 2 months. See Susan or Bill Clark for more information. 253-2477 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Confirmation Ministry… There will be an information meeting on August 29th at 7:00 PM in the Parish Hall for all parents and students interested in Confirmation ministry this year. We will present and discuss the goals of this ministry, the calendar for this year, as well as the costs that will be involved. Confirmation Ministry at St. John’s is a two-year program for those going into 7th or 8th grade.
- Spanish Teacher needed – St. John’s Lutheran School is still seeking a Spanish teacher for the 2018-19 school year. This is a part time position (about 10 hours a week), teaching Spanish to 5th through 8th grade. The person needs to have teaching experience. If interested, please contact the school office at 707-226-7970 or Joel Wahlers at email@example.com.
- Will You Leave A Legacy As A Disciple Of Christ?… Your help is needed in Children’s Ministry at St John’s Lutheran Church. We are currently looking for some additional Children’s Church Leaders. What’s required for the job? A love for Jesus and a love for children! We provide the resources for what you teach(the curriculum). Your commitment is usually for one Sunday a month during the 10:15 am worship service. Please contact Janis King immediately! Thank you for prayerfully considering this special opportunity as a disciple of Christ!
- Youth Events…Abide (High School) will meet on August 2nd and 9th at 7:00 PM for Bible study, games, & snacks. We are studying the Gospel of Mark. Join us at the Hoffs’, 10 Glen Court, Napa, CA. For questions, contact Elaine Hoff at 707-227-2588.
- St. John’s Facilities Online Calendar: Looking for a room for a meeting or event? You can view this calendar online. Go to https://teamup.com/ks059311afd6a21c57 If you would like to book a room/location on campus for an event/meeting, please contact Christy Kramer at the church office to be added to the calendar. Please note: You may only use the facility if you have pre-reserved your requested room/location with Christy Kramer
- Mission India: Please keep this year’s Mission India Literacy trainers in your prayers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see www.missionindia.org.
- Aaron Comfort Dog… New team members are always welcome! Come join us and observe how this amazing ministry works. Please contact Tim or Christy Kramer if you would like to “shadow” during one of our events!
- Aaron Comfort Dog Contact Info: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages at AaronComfortDog.
- Ministry Opportunity: St. John’s participates in The Table ministry (based at First Presbyterian Church, 1333 Third St. in Napa) by cooking/serving a meal every month on the 2nd Friday. If you would like to help, please sign up for a shift (or multiple shifts) by clicking here. We thank you for your service. Your time and your talents are greatly appreciated. Blessings, The Table Team
- Recycle your Household Batteries at SJL: St. John’s Lutheran is working with Napa Recycling on collecting and disposing of any household batteries you may have; AAA, AA, C, D & 9 volt batteries. We will not accept automotive or drill batteries, only standard household batteries. Containers are available in the school office, church office, and Room 10.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Abide Daily Devotion… How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotions in your email each morning.