This week’s Memory Verse:
“For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through Him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God.”~~2 Corinthians 1:20
• This Sunday: We are called to live “godly” lives, to be more like Jesus in our thoughts, words, and deeds. But what does this mean? What is God like? What is the godly, “Jesus” character to which we aspire? We continue with our series on the attributes of God, focusing primarily on those character attributes that God would work in us, so that, as Paul wrote to the Corinthians, we might be “Transformed into His Image.” God is faithful. He is faithful to us, dedicated to being our God and carrying out His mission to us and through us. What does it mean that we are called to such faithfulness as well?
• Psalm 89:1-37
• Hebrews 3:1-6
• Matthew 25:14-30
• “The Table” ministry: Please consider donating baked goods for our day at “The Table”, Friday, August 8th. Please drop them off to the church office by 9:00 AM. Thanks for “reaching out”!
• Confirmation Information Meeting: There will be an information meeting on Wednesday, August 27th at 7:00 PM in the Parish Hall for all parents and students interested in Confirmation ministry this year. We will present and discuss the goals of this ministry, the calendar for this year, as well as the costs that will be involved. Confirmation Ministry at St. John’s is a two-year program for those going into 7th or 8th grade. The purpose of the ministry is to disciple junior high students at this important time in their lives, and to prepare them for high school as Christian young men and women.
• K-9 Comfort Dog Ministry Update: Would you like to be a part of this amazing ministry? It is time to assemble our team! Please plan to attend one of the important, upcoming meetings to receive information and LCC required application forms for handler and caregiver candidates. If you cannot attend one of these meetings, but would like to participate, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer at the church office.
o Sunday, August 24th after each service, in the Parish Hall
o Tuesday, August 26th at 7:00 PM in Room 10.
• Usher Teams needed: We are in need of ushers for the 10:15 AM service. Usher teams serve approximately once a month, making this a convenient way to serve our Lord and His people. Please contact Gary Virkus or the church office if you can help with this ministry.
• Musicians Needed: Our worship band ministry is looking for additional musicians, primarily bass players and drummers. If you have such a talent or know someone who may be interested (does not have to be a member!), please contact Pastor Mike.
• Zinnias: You are all welcome to cut and take home the beautiful zinnias from the south side of the church. Enjoy! – Opa the Zinnia Man
• Needed: Someone or a “team” of persons to manage the Lutheran World Relief Soap collection in Sept. and Oct. For information, please contact Jean Gonzales at 707-731-0774.
• Communion Wine Donations: We are welcoming wine donations. One to two bottles of wine are typically used for a service. Donations should be a minimum of two bottles. If you would like to donate wine, please make arrangements with Bob or Doris Klein before bringing the wine to the church. They can be reached at (707) 253-8625 or firstname.lastname@example.org.