This Week’s Memory Verse
“When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, He had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. And He began to teach them many things.” ~Mark 6:34
• This Sunday: We are called to live “godly” lives, to be more like Jesus in our thoughts, words, and deeds. But what does this mean? What is God like? What is the godly, “Jesus” character to which we aspire? We continue our series on the attributes of God, focusing primarily on those character attributes that God would work in us, so that, as Paul wrote to the Corinthians, we might be “Transformed into His Image.” This Sunday we focus on the attribute of love. Love defines the essence of God and the shape of His actions. May that same love be worked in and through our lives!
• Psalm 136
• 1 John 3:16-18; 4:7-12
• John 13:34-35
• Confirmation Information Meeting: There will be an information meeting on Wednesday, August 27th at 7:00 PM in the Parish Hall for all parents and students interested in confirmation ministry this year. We will present and discuss the goals of this ministry, the calendar for this year, as well as the costs that will be involved. Confirmation Ministry at St. John’s is a two-year program for those going into 7th or 8th grade. The purpose of the ministry is to disciple junior high students at this important time in their lives, and to prepare them for High School as Christian young men and women.
• Usher Teams needed: We are in need of ushers for the 10:15 AM service. Usher teams serve approximately once a month, making this a convenient way to serve our Lord and His people. Please contact Gary Virkus or the church office if you can help with this ministry.
• Musicians Needed: Our worship band ministry is looking for additional musicians, primarily bass players and drummers. If you have such a talent or know someone who may be interested (does not have to be a member!), please contact Pastor Mike.
• Zinnias: You are all welcome to cut and take home the beautiful zinnias from the south side of the church. Enjoy! – Opa the Zinnia Man
• Thank you to all who participated in the Baby Bottle fundraiser! Another $85 has been received for the fundraiser with the total being revised to $1294.57, with fifty-six bottles being returned. Thrivent Financial will add $400 matching funds and the total will be equally divided between NEWS and Well Mom’s & Babies.
• Needed: Someone or a “team” of persons to manage the Lutheran World Relief Soap collection in Sept. and Oct. For information, please contact Jean Gonzales at 707-731-0774.
• AED available in the Sanctuary: Thanks to the fundraising efforts of the Thrivent Board and Thrivent members at St. John’s, we have a new AED now mounted and available in the church sanctuary. It is located in the narthex and is clearly marked. An AED is an Automated External Defibrillator. It can be used to treat victims of cardiac arrest by medical professionals or those trained in CPR.
• Communion Wine Donations: We are welcoming wine donations. One to two bottles of wine are typically used for a service. Donations should be a minimum of two bottles. If you would like to donate wine, please make arrangements with Bob or Doris Klein before bringing the wine to the church. They can be reached at (707) 253-8625 or firstname.lastname@example.org.