This Week’s Memory Verse
Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. ~1 Corinthians 6:19
As We Gather
What does the Gospel mean for how we handle disputes among us? We have been reconciled to God through the cross of Christ. What difference does this make for seeking reconciliation with others? What happens to our witness when we fail to live in reconciliation, sharing the grace of God with each other?
The Church in Corinth had written Paul some questions about marriage and divorce. He answers them with wise Christian advice based on biblical understanding, theological reflection, and pastoral experience. What does God’s Word have to say to us today in a culture that has redefined marriage and where divorce is increasingly prevalent?
Old Testament Genesis 2:18-25
Psalm: Psalm 119:33-40
Epistle 1 Corinthians 7:1-24
Gospel Matthew 19:1-11
Children’s Church…Teachers for this week are Janet Gates and Ramona Kaufmann
- St. John’s will be celebrating three staff members who are marking meaningful milestones in their service to God and St. John’s:
- Jennie Love – 25 years teaching
- Joan Perez – 25 years teaching at St. John’s
- Pastor Mark Heine – celebrating the 30th anniversary of his Ordination
We will celebrate these staff members during worship on Sunday, August 26, and at a reception after worship on the patio. We invite you to join us as we recognize their years of service. You are encouraged to share cards or letters that share how much their service has meant to you and your family. These can be dropped off at the church office. We are also collecting monetary gifts for each staff member. If you would like to contribute to this gift, you can drop your donation off at the church office in an envelope marked “Staff Anniversary”. Please include a note to identify which staff member(s) the contribution is to be given.
- Stephen Ministry Training Begins…This coming week marks the beginning of 50 hours of training for 7 people who have committed themselves to learning the skills of caring ministry. This first week’s training concerns “The Person of the Caregiver,” and trainees will consider five foundational characteristics of a caregiver. These people, Roxana Castro, Clare King, Jeff Mello, Deidre Newton, Jason Newton, Linda Reed and Karen Wall, are a blessing to St. John’s, and we wish God’s blessings upon them. Please keep them in your prayers. For more information about Stephen Ministry contact Pam Barker, Penni Cremen, or Pastor Mark.
- Women’s Bible Study: We are resuming our Thursday afternoon Bible Study with a welcome back kick off on Thursday August 23, 1:00PM-2:30PM in the Sanctuary! This Fall we will be studying along with a book called Trusting God by Jerry Bridges. Contact us at WomensMinistry@StjohnsLutheran.net
- Growth Group Worship Series – I AM: The Radical Claim that Changes Everything (September 30-November 11, 2018) – Our fall worship series will focus on the “I am” statements of Jesus in the Gospel of John. This series will involve not only Sunday Worship, but also a Growth Group gathering during the week. The purpose of the Growth Group is to grow in friendship, to grow in God’s Word, and to positively impact the world.
- Needed: H.O.S.T.S. We are looking for people to serve as a H.O.S.T. for these groups. This is a great way to start a growth Group without having to worry about being a good enough teacher or Bible Scholar. We are looking for people who are hospitable to host groups in their homes. The teaching will be done with video. The H.O.S.T. will facilitate discussion with provided questions based on video teachings. Training will be provided on Tuesday, August 28 at 7:00 PM in Room 10. An additional session will be scheduled if needed. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Pastor Mike (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Coffee Hour… Since there has been little response for additional help, coffee hour is being discontinued for now. We need people to commit for a year to this hospitality ministry. We are looking for 8 teams so each team would serve one Sunday every 2 months. See Susan or Bill Clark for more information. 253-2477 or email email@example.com
- Confirmation Ministry… There will be an information meeting on August 29th at 7:00 PM in the Parish Hall for all parents and students interested in Confirmation ministry this year. We will present and discuss the goals of this ministry, the calendar for this year, as well as the costs that will be involved. Confirmation Ministry at St. John’s is a two-year program for those going into 7th or 8th grade.
- Spanish Teacher needed – St. John’s Lutheran School is still seeking a Spanish teacher for the 2018-19 school year. This is a part time position (about 10 hours a week), teaching Spanish to 5th through 8th grade. The person needs to have teaching experience. If interested, please contact the school office at 707-226-7970 or Joel Wahlers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Will You Leave A Legacy As A Disciple Of Christ?… Your help is needed in Children’s Ministry at St John’s Lutheran Church. We are currently looking for some additional Children’s Church Leaders. What’s required for the job? A love for Jesus and a love for children! We provide the resources for what you teach (the curriculum). Your commitment is usually for one Sunday a month during the 10:15 am worship service. Please contact Janis King immediately! Thank you for prayerfully considering this special opportunity as a disciple of Christ!
- Youth Events…“Attention all HIGH SCHOOLERS! We have officially kicked off our Sunday Morning Hangout (smh). Come out each Sunday morning at 9:30am for fellowship & DONUTS! We meet in the Youth Office.”
“It’s almost school time y’all. Stay tuned for the fall kick off events!!”
- St. John’s Facilities Online Calendar: Looking for a room for a meeting or event? You can view this calendar online. Go to https://teamup.com/ks059311afd6a21c57 If you would like to book a room/location on campus for an event/meeting, please contact Christy Kramer at the church office to be added to the calendar. Please note: You may only use the facility if you have pre-reserved your requested room/location with Christy Kramer
- Mission India: Please keep this year’s Mission India Literacy trainers in your prayers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see www.missionindia.org.
- Aaron Comfort Dog… New team members are always welcome! Come join us and observe how this amazing ministry works. Please contact Tim or Christy Kramer if you would like to “shadow” during one of our events!
- Aaron Comfort Dog Contact Info: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages at AaronComfortDog.
- Ministry Opportunity: St. John’s participates in The Table ministry (based at First Presbyterian Church, 1333 Third St. in Napa) by cooking/serving a meal every month on the 2nd Friday. If you would like to help, please sign up for a shift (or multiple shifts) by clicking here. We thank you for your service. Your time and your talents are greatly appreciated. Blessings, The Table Team
- Recycle your Household Batteries at SJL: St. John’s Lutheran is working with Napa Recycling on collecting and disposing of any household batteries you may have; AAA, AA, C, D & 9 volt batteries. We will not accept automotive or drill batteries, only standard household batteries. Containers are available in the school office, church office, and Room 10.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Abide Daily Devotion… How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotions in your email each morning.