This Week’s Memory Verse
Declare His glory among the nations, His marvelous deeds among all peoples. ~Psalm 96:3
As We Gather
What does it mean to be a Christian in a culture which has very different values? Paul wrote a letter addressing the struggle and calling a specific congregation to faithfulness in following Christ. On Sunday, we begin a new worship series, focusing on this letter: 1 Corinthians. We will find many similarities between the struggles of the Corinthian Christians and our own struggles to be faithful today. But we will also find in the words of this letter that power of the Cross of Christ to speak to us, renew us, and empower us to walk in the wisdom of God today.
Sunday we look at the opening of the letter. Paul addresses a troubled, divided church with many difficulties. But he reminds them that they are enriched in every way with all of God’s blessings that they may be His people, and walk in His ways. We take up our calling with the same assurance. But what does this mean, that we are enriched in every way?
Old Testament Exodus 29:1-8
Psalm: Psalm 126
Epistle 1 Corinthians 1:1-9
Gospel John 16:12-15
Children’s Church… Diane Barbosa and Lisa Thornton
- What Do Stephen Ministers Do?…Stephen Ministers bring distinctively Christian care to those in need. They use both words and deeds to express Christ’s care for others – listening and comforting, calling on the training they have received, and employing the tools of faith. If this job description fits your personal goals for ministry, consider becoming a Stephen Minister. Applications for the training session beginning August 23rd are being accepted through June 24th. Applications are available in the church office. For more information, contact Pam Barker, Penni Cremen, or Pastor Mark.
- Ministry Trends: Concerns and Opportunities . . . There will be an open forum on Monday, June 11 at 7:00 PM in the Sanctuary. The purpose of this open forum is to initiate conversation and prayer regarding the future of St. John’s. We will be looking at trends in our culture regarding faith and the church at large. We will also be taking a hard look at trends in our own congregation regarding demographics, worship attendance, the makeup of our school, finances, staffing and offerings. This meeting could be the beginning of a deliberative process over the next year involving leaders and interested members of our congregational community as we ponder the Lord’s will for us. All are invited.
GOD IS THE SOURCE AND OWNER
OF ALL. AS STEWARDS, WE
POSSESS WHAT HE ENTRUSTS
The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it. ~Psalm 24:1
- “New Tricks Club”… Announcing a new club for AARP eligible persons willing to try something new! Learn to design, build and program robots in a positive environment. Free classes will be held on Wednesdays, June 20, 27, July 11, 18 from 6:30-8:30 PM in the Library. If interested, please contact Mike Newton.
- Will You Leave A Legacy As A Disciple Of Christ?… Your help is needed in Children’s Ministry at St John’s Lutheran Church. We are currently looking for some additional Children’s Church Leaders. What’s required for the job? A love for Jesus and a love for children! We provide the resources for what you teach(the curriculum). Your commitment is usually for one Sunday a month during the 10:15 am worship service. Please contact Janis King immediately! Thank you for prayerfully considering this special opportunity as a disciple of Christ!
- Volunteer Positions Still Available for VBS: GREETERS: Please join us at 8:45 am to greet the families at drop off for VBS; and/or join us at 12:00 pm to thank the families for coming to VBS
OPERATION KID-TO-KID COORDINATOR: We are planning a special Mission project for the kids that attend VBS and are looking for someone to coordinate this project for St. John’s Lutheran Church. Please see attached video for more information.
- Youth Events
Abide (High School) will meet on Tuesday, June 12th at 7:00 PM for Bible Study, Games & Snacks. We are studying the Gospel of Mark. Join us at the Hoff’s, 10 Glen Court, Napa, CA. For questions, contact Elaine Hoff at 707-227-2588.
We have a BBQ and Games Welcome Event for Kevin and the new incoming freshman planned at the Hoff’s (10 Glen Court) at 4:00 pm on Sunday, June 10th. For questions, contact Elaine Hoff at 707-227-2588.
- Worship Preparation Team Members Needed… Please consider joining our team! This important ministry needs some additional helpers – individuals, couples, families, friends! Many volunteers mean that you only have to serve one or two months each year, so grab a friend and contact Doris Klein and Betsy Gewirz or call the church office if you are able to serve our Lord in this way.
- Women’s Bible Study will be on break for the summer and will resume in August. Stay tuned for more detailed information!
- St. John’s Facilities Online Calendar: Looking for a room for a meeting or event? You can view this calendar online. Go to https://teamup.com/ks059311afd6a21c57 If you would like to book a room/location on campus for an event/meeting, please contact Christy Kramer at the church office to be added to the calendar. Please note: You may only use the facility if you have pre-reserved your requested room/location with Christy Kramer
- Mission India: Please keep this year’s Mission India Literacy trainers in your prayers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see www.missionindia.org.
- Aaron Comfort Dog… New team members are always welcome! Come join us and observe how this amazing ministry works. Please contact Tim or Christy Kramer if you would like to “shadow” during one of our events!
- Aaron Comfort Dog Contact Info: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages at AaronComfortDog.
- Ministry Opportunity: St. John’s participates in The Table ministry (based at First Presbyterian Church, 1333 Third St. in Napa) by cooking/serving a meal every month on the 2nd Friday. If you would like to help, please sign up for a shift (or multiple shifts) by clicking here. We thank you for your service. Your time and your talents are greatly appreciated. Blessings, The Table Team
- Recycle your Household Batteries at SJL: St. John’s Lutheran is working with Napa Recycling on collecting and disposing of any household batteries you may have; AAA, AA, C, D & 9 volt batteries. We will not accept automotive or drill batteries, only standard household batteries. Containers are available in the school office, church office, and Room 10.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Abide Daily Devotion… How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotions in your email each morning.