This Week’s Memory Verse
To Him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy – to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen. ~Jude 24-25
As We Gather
Jesus invited people to become disciples with these simple words, “Come, Follow Me.” His words are alive today as well, calling us to a life of discipleship to His glory.
First Reading Acts 10:34-48
Second Reading1 John 5:1-8
Holy GospelMatthew 4:18-22
This Sunday will be Confirmation Sunday. At the 10:15 AM service eight young people will confess their faith in Christ and commit their lives to following Him. May His Holy Spirit bless and empower all of us to live lives of Kingdom fruitfulness!
Children’s Church Teachers: Diane Barbosa, Lisa Thornton, Sarah Santora
- What is Stephen Ministry?…Stephen Ministry is a system through which individuals are trained and organized to help provide one-on-one Christian caregiving to adults. This will multiply the amount of caring ministry St. John’s can provide by giving us a whole team of skilled caregivers who are equipped to bring Christ’s healing love to people who are grieving, in crisis, or experiencing other stresses in life. More information about this new ministry will be available on Stephen Ministry Sunday, May 20th.
- Congregational Meeting… We will be having a congregational meeting on June 3 after the 10:15 AM service (approximately 11:30 AM). The agenda will include the election of board members, adoption of the Ministry Plan and Budget for 2018-2019, as well as revisions to the By-Laws.
- We stewards witness of our risen, victorious Lord!
“The angel said, ‘He is not here; He has risen… go quickly and tell’” Matt. 28:5-7
- Will You Leave A Legacy As A Disciple Of Christ?… Your help is needed in Children’s Ministry at St John’s Lutheran Church. We are currently looking for some additional Children’s Church Leaders. What’s required for the job? A love for Jesus and a love for children! We provide the resources for what you teach(the curriculum). Your commitment is usually for one Sunday a month during the 10:15 am worship service. Please contact Janis King immediately! Thank you for prayerfully considering this special opportunity as a disciple of Christ!
- DCE Intern Kevin Mathison. . . Our new intern for this next year will be coming to us from Concordia University Texas in Austin. Kevin will be arriving in late May and will begin his internship on June 1. Please keep Kevin in your prayers as he concludes his studies and prepares for his ministry here.
- VBS is coming up in just a few weeks! This year we are going to be SHIPWRECKED the week of June 25-29th with a very special concert on Friday morning! YANCY will be here to share the love of Jesus with the kids and us!! We are hoping that you are able to help out with VBS in some way! It takes so many volunteers to make this happen at SJL! Will you be able to volunteer? There are many different jobs! Like crafts, snacks, games, leading the kids from room to room, etc. There’s something for everyone! We truly appreciate you and hope we can count on you to be there! If you have any questions please call Janis King @ 707.226.7970 ext. 107 or email Janis email@example.com Please don’t delay! Plans are already being made and we need to know if our volunteer positions will be filled! Thank you! Here’s a link to the volunteer sign up website. And here is the form to register your kids for this fulfilled week!
- Youth Events
Club 56 (5th and 6th Grade) will meet on Tuesday, May 8th and 22nd from 6:00-7:30 PM in Room 10.
Ablaze (7th & 8th Grade) will meet on Thursday, May 10th and 24th, from 6:00-7:30 PM in Room 10.
Abide (High School ) will meet on May 8, 15, and 22 at 7:00 PM for Bible Study, Games & Snacks. We are studying the Gospel of Mark. Join us at the Hoff’s, 10 Glen Court, Napa, CA. For questions, contact Elaine Hoff at 707-227-2588.
- Worship Preparation Team Members Needed… Please consider joining our team! This important ministry needs some additional helpers – individuals, couples, families, friends! Many volunteers mean that you only have to serve one or two months each year, so grab a friend and contact Doris Klein and Betsy Gewirz or call the church office if you are able to serve our Lord in this way.
- Women’s Bible Study Please join us for a weekly Bible study on 1 John on Thursdays from 1 – 2:30 PM, in the sanctuary. All women are invited to this new ministry. Invite a friend! Bring your Bible or use one from the church. Notebooks and paper will be supplied. Refreshments will be served. Childcare is available with advance notice. Please RSVP to Teresa, Judi, or Pam (via text, phone, or email) so that we know how many chairs to set up. We hope to see you there!
Teresa Schmid 707-738-7554 firstname.lastname@example.org
Judi Rock 707-738-6707 Jbaboo1771@gmail.com
Pam Barker 707-225-4707 email@example.com.
- St. John’s Facilities Online Calendar: Looking for a room for a meeting or event? You can view this calendar online. Go to https://teamup.com/ks059311afd6a21c57 If you would like to book a room/location on campus for an event/meeting, please contact Christy Kramer at the church office to be added to the calendar. Please note: You may only use the facility if you have pre-reserved your requested room/location with Christy Kramer
- Mission India: Please keep this year’s Mission India Literacy trainers in your prayers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see www.missionindia.org.
- Aaron Comfort Dog… New team members are always welcome! Come join us and observe how this amazing ministry works. Please contact Tim or Christy Kramer if you would like to “shadow” during one of our events!
- Aaron Comfort Dog Contact Info: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages at AaronComfortDog.
- Ministry Opportunity: St. John’s participates in The Table ministry (based at First Presbyterian Church, 1333 Third St. in Napa) by cooking/serving a meal every month on the 2nd Friday. If you would like to help, please sign up for a shift (or multiple shifts) by clicking here. We thank you for your service. Your time and your talents are greatly appreciated. Blessings, The Table Team
- Recycle your Household Batteries at SJL: St. John’s Lutheran is working with Napa Recycling on collecting and disposing of any household batteries you may have; AAA, AA, C, D & 9 volt batteries. We will not accept automotive or drill batteries, only standard household batteries. Containers are available in the school office, church office, and Room 10.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Abide Daily Devotion… How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotions in your email each morning.