This Week’s Memory Verse
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. ~Acts 1:8
As We Gather
On Sunday, the day of Pentecost, we are reminded that we have been called and enlightened and sanctified by the Holy Spirit through the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This same Jesus sends us out with the power of His Spirit to bring peace and forgiveness to the world.
Sunday is also Stephen Ministry Sunday, as we recognize this new ministry here at St. John’s. Stephen Ministry is based on the thought that all Christians are ministers. The responsibility for passing on God’s love is for all Christians, not just for a chosen few. God has given us all gifts for ministry and called us to put those gifts to use. Stephen Ministry is a way people with special gifts for caring ministry can use those gifts to bring Christ’s love to people in need.
First Reading Acts 2:1-21
Psalm Psalm 139:1-12
Second Reading 2 Cor. 5:17-21
Holy Gospel John 15:26-27, 16:4b-15
Children’s Church… Joy Dahl, Lindsey Engelbracht, Jenny Gass
- Who Benefits from Stephen Ministry?…Everybody benefits from Stephen Ministry. Those receiving care from Stephen Ministers benefit because they receive prayer and support throughout the crisis they face. Stephen Ministers benefit through the spiritual growth they experience from being involved in meaningful ministry. Our congregation benefits because caring ministry is expanded. Most of all you benefit from the knowledge that special care is available to you should you need it. In addition, you will soon have a place where you can refer a friend, neighbor, coworker, relative, or anyone else you know who is going through a difficult time so that they can receive special care when they need it most. Training for Stephen Ministers will begin August 23.
- Congregational Meeting… We will be having a congregational meeting on June 3 after the 10:15 AM service (approximately 11:30 AM). The agenda will include the election of board members, adoption of the Ministry Plan and Budget for 2018-2019, as well as revisions to the By-Laws.
All documents pertaining to the June 3 Congregational Meeting are on the table in the church entryway (narthex). They are also available on the church website. Go to “Resources”, and then “Ministry Documents.”
- Open Forum… There will be Open Forum on Tuesday, May 22 at 7:00 PM in the Sanctuary. There are two topics for this open forum: Proposed Ministry Plan and Budget 2018-2019 and Proposed Revisions to the By-Laws The open forum is an opportunity to ask questions, provide input, and engage in discussion about the Ministry Plan and Budget and the proposed by-law revisions.
- VBS Volunteer Meeting… There will be a meeting for VBS Volunteers on Tuesday, May 29th at 6:00pm in Room 10. We will be eating pizza and hearing all about the fun things we have planned for VBS! Please RSVP to Janis King so I can have an accurate count for pizza! Thank you for your service! (firstname.lastname@example.org or call 707.226.7970 ext 107) PS: We are still in need of more volunteers! Sign up now!!!
IS A HIGH, HOLY, AND
Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful ~1 Corinthians 4:2
- Will You Leave A Legacy As A Disciple Of Christ?… Your help is needed in Children’s Ministry at St John’s Lutheran Church. We are currently looking for some additional Children’s Church Leaders. What’s required for the job? A love for Jesus and a love for children! We provide the resources for what you teach(the curriculum). Your commitment is usually for one Sunday a month during the 10:15 am worship service. Please contact Janis King immediately! Thank you for prayerfully considering this special opportunity as a disciple of Christ!
- DCE Intern Kevin Mathison. . . Our new intern for this next year will be coming to us from Concordia University Texas in Austin. Kevin will be arriving in late May and will begin his internship on June 1. Please keep Kevin in your prayers as he concludes his studies and prepares for his ministry here.
- VBS is coming up in just a few weeks! This year we are going to be SHIPWRECKED the week of June 25-29th with a very special concert on Friday morning! YANCY will be here to share the love of Jesus with the kids and us!! We are hoping that you are able to help out with VBS in some way! It takes so many volunteers to make this happen at SJL! Will you be able to volunteer? There are many different jobs! Like crafts, snacks, games, leading the kids from room to room, etc. There’s something for everyone! Here’s a link to the volunteer sign up website.We truly appreciate you and hope we can count on you to be there! If you have any questions please call Janis King @ 707.226.7970 ext. 107 or email Janis email@example.com Please don’t delay! Plans are already being made and we need to know if our volunteer positions will be filled! Thank you! Here’s the link to sign up your kids!
- Youth Events
Club 56 (5th and 6th Grade) will meet on Tuesday, May 22nd from 6:00-7:30 PM in Room 10.
Ablaze (7th & 8th Grade) will meet on Thursday, May 10th and 24th, from 6:00-7:30 PM in Room 10.
Abide (High School ) will meet on May 15, and 22 at 7:00 PM for Bible Study, Games & Snacks. We are studying the Gospel of Mark. Join us at the Hoff’s, 10 Glen Court, Napa, CA. For questions, contact Elaine Hoff at 707-227-2588.
- Worship Preparation Team Members Needed… Please consider joining our team! This important ministry needs some additional helpers – individuals, couples, families, friends! Many volunteers mean that you only have to serve one or two months each year, so grab a friend and contact Doris Klein and Betsy Gewirz or call the church office if you are able to serve our Lord in this way.
- Women’s Bible Study Please join us for a weekly Bible study on 1 John on Thursdays from 1 – 2:30 PM, in the sanctuary. All women are invited to this new ministry. Invite a friend! Bring your Bible or use one from the church. Notebooks and paper will be supplied. Refreshments will be served. Childcare is available with advance notice. Please RSVP to Teresa, Judi, or Pam (via text, phone, or email) so that we know how many chairs to set up. We hope to see you there!
Teresa Schmid 707-738-7554 firstname.lastname@example.org
Judi Rock 707-738-6707 Jbaboo1771@gmail.com
- St. John’s Facilities Online Calendar: Looking for a room for a meeting or event? You can view this calendar online. Go to https://teamup.com/ks059311afd6a21c57 If you would like to book a room/location on campus for an event/meeting, please contact Christy Kramer at the church office to be added to the calendar. Please note: You may only use the facility if you have pre-reserved your requested room/location with Christy Kramer
- Mission India: Please keep this year’s Mission India Literacy trainers in your prayers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see www.missionindia.org.
- Aaron Comfort Dog… New team members are always welcome! Come join us and observe how this amazing ministry works. Please contact Tim or Christy Kramer if you would like to “shadow” during one of our events!
- Aaron Comfort Dog Contact Info: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages at AaronComfortDog.
- Ministry Opportunity: St. John’s participates in The Table ministry (based at First Presbyterian Church, 1333 Third St. in Napa) by cooking/serving a meal every month on the 2nd Friday. If you would like to help, please sign up for a shift (or multiple shifts) by clicking here. We thank you for your service. Your time and your talents are greatly appreciated. Blessings, The Table Team
- Recycle your Household Batteries at SJL: St. John’s Lutheran is working with Napa Recycling on collecting and disposing of any household batteries you may have; AAA, AA, C, D & 9 volt batteries. We will not accept automotive or drill batteries, only standard household batteries. Containers are available in the school office, church office, and Room 10.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Abide Daily Devotion… How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotions in your email each morning.