40 days – From Getting to Giving
Did your Christmas celebration this year include reading or watching “A Christmas Carol” by Charles Dickens? The familiar story of the transformation of Ebenezer Scrooge is both uplifting and encouraging. By the end of the story, he is no longer the miserly man he once was, but rather discovered that there is great joy in being generous. Giving produces joy.
This is a powerful reason to be giving people, marked by generosity rather than selfishness. This is also a powerful way to keep the “Christmas Spirit” of giving and kindness going far beyond the end of the season.
But this is merely one reason to give. Why else do we give? What else is going on when we let ourselves be moved by God to give as He has given to us.
On January 10, we will begin a new worship series entitled “Why Give.” For the following five weeks we will explore what God’s Word says to us about the blessings of giving.
- January 10 – We are saved to be rivers, not lakes. (Baptism of our Lord Sunday)
- January 17 – When we give, we give Christ.
- January 24 – Through our giving, God gives gifts.
- January 31 – Our giving enables others to give.
- February 7 – Giving produces Joy (Transfiguration Sunday)We will be making available an accompanying devotion book “Why Give,” written by Mission India founder John DeVries. Our cost for this books is $5.00. They will be available in the church office and entryway.
May God bless our giving, enabling us to share in His joy.