This Week’s Memory Verse
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”
We continue our worship series on Paul’s letter to the Romans. Grace was the heart of the message that Paul preached. As he began to prepare to go to Rome to preach and teach there, he sent a letter to the church to serve as an introduction to his message. That letter, Paul’s letter to the Romans, is the most systematic and thorough treatment of the plan of salvation in the New Testament. Reading almost like a theology text book, Paul lays out the need for grace and the amazing gift of grace.
On Sunday, we continue to consider our need for grace. Paul points out to the Jewish Christians that they are in need of grace every bit as much as the Gentiles (non-Jews). The point for us is that all are in need of grace. All have sinned and fall short of God’s glory, and so all need the amazing grace that is given through faith in Christ.
- Romans 2:1-3:20
- Luke 18:9-14
- Children’s Church teachers this week: Scott & Anastasia Zimmerman & Jenny Gass
- Baptism Workshop: Are you interested in Baptism, either for yourself or your children? Our next Baptism Workshop will be on Tuesday, September 15, at 7:00 PM in Room 8. Pastor Mike will present the biblical teaching on Baptism, as well as how we do Baptism at St. John’s. We will also discuss nurturing the faith life of young children. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact the church office.
- Financial Peace University: We all need a plan for our money. Financial Peace University (FPU) is that plan! Through video teaching, class discussions and interactive small group activities, FPU presents biblical, practical steps to get from where you are to where you’ve dreamed you could be. This plan will show you how to get rid of debt, manage your money, spend and save wisely, and much more! Each of the 9 weekly classes are about one hour and forty-five minutes long. The next session will be held at St. John’s on Thursday evenings at 7:00 PM from September 17 to November 12. Materials are $93 (plus $9.30 shipping) per household. Register and order materials for the class online at http://www.daveramsey.com/fpu/locations/class/1003258
- Pastor Mark Sabbatical: The Board of Directors has authorized a sabbatical for Pastor Mark through October 18. Please direct any requests for Pastoral Care to Pastor Mike.
- Children’s Church: We have openings for children’s church leaders for both the preschool – 1st grade children’s church, and the 2nd – 4th grade class. Are you interested in learning more about serving in this way? Please contact Janis King.
- Sanctuary Choir practice has resumed! New members are always welcome. Join us at 7:00 PM on Wednesdays!
- Wine Donations: Once again, the Worship Preparation Committee is seeking donations of red wine for Communion. Donations should be a minimum of 2 bottles, the usual amount needed for one service. Thank you for considering this opportunity to participate in the worship life of St. John’s.
- REFRESH, RE-ENERGIZE & RECONNECT on a Lutheran Marriage Encounter Weekend! Give your spouse the gift of your time and attention away from your daily routine. The next Weekend is scheduled October 2 – 4, 2015 at the Holiday Inn in Rancho Cordova, CA. Married husbands & wives can apply now at www.GodLovesMarriage.org. Contact Pastor Ted & Marty Hartman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 530-333-4628 for more information. But hurry! Weekends fill fast and pre-registration is required by September 4.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Aaron Comfort Dog Visits: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook page at AaronComfortDog
- Mission India: Please keep our Mission India Literacy trainer in your prayers. As announced in church, we have met the goal for financially supporting our trainer for this year. But we are still collecting support for Mission India which will go toward supporting other literacy trainers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see the display in the church entryway.
- John’s is on Twitter: Follow St. John’s on Twitter: @sjlcnapa.
- Are you on Facebook? So are we! https://www.facebook.com/sjlcnapa
- Abide Daily Devotion: How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotion in your email each morning. http://stjohnslutheran.net/abide-devotion/