As We Gather
Jesus made radical claims regarding His identity and His mission. Jesus tells us who He is, making use of powerful images that point us toward who He is, and what it means to follow Him. Today we begin a series focusing on the “I Am” claims of Jesus in the Gospel of John. As we unpack these images in the coming weeks, may the Holy Spirit lead us not only to a deeper understanding of who Jesus is, but also who we are as His followers.
Old Testament Reading Exodus 3:1-15
Psalm Psalm 25:1-10
Holy Gospel John 20:24-31
Children’s Church Teachers: Erika Boudreaux, Teresa Schmid, Jenny Gass, Scott Zimmerman
ANSWER THIS QUESTION: IS MY PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS TAKING A BACK SEAT TO MY WORLDLY PURSUITS?
“But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord” (Joshua 24:15).
- Growth Group Worship Series – I AM: The Radical Claim that Changes Everything (September 30-November 11, 2018) – Our fall worship series will focus on the “I am” statements of Jesus in the Gospel of John. This series will involve not only Sunday Worship, but also a Growth Group gathering during the week. The purpose of the Growth Group is to grow in friendship, to grow in God’s Word, and to positively impact the world.
- Stephen Ministry Training Continues…This coming week the Stephen Ministry training class at St. John’s will be considering the subject of Confidentiality. In this presentation they will be learning the principles of confidentiality so that anyone who is ministered to by a Stephen Minister can be confident that any communication will be kept secret and private. Stephen Ministry is adding an important dimension to the ministry here at St. John’s. We thank God for this opportunity He has given us for growth and service. For more information about Stephen Ministry contact Pam Barker, Penni Cremen, or Pastor Mark.
- Attention all AMAZON Users! Please consider sing “Amazon Smile” when you place your orders, designating St. John’s Lutheran Church fund. (There is no additional cost to you!) Just click on the link below and place your order. It is that simple! https://smile.amazon.com/ch/94-6001864
Youth Events…“ CREW was amazing! The kickoff to our 3rd & 4th grade youth group couldn’t have been any better. The kids were initiated as Special Agents in God’s CREW and learned what exactly that means for their life! The next CREW is scheduled for October 11th.On Tuesday, October 2nd, ABLAZE will be heading to Aegis of Napa for Bingo Night. This will be an opportunity for our youth to impact the lives of people through the love of Christ. Contact Kevin Mathison if you have any questions.
Attention High School Students! The National Youth Gathering is taking place July 2019 and it is time to get the ball rolling. We will have our first meeting on Thursday, October 4th, at 7pm in Sanctuary. Come out to learn more about what this event is and how we will make it happen! Contact Kevin Mathison for more information.
Stewardship Corner… God directs us to give regularly and generously (1 Corinthians 16:2). You may never be in a better position to give generously than you are today. The decision to give God your first and best is usually not made with calculators or with pencil and paper. The decision to give to God the first portion of your paycheck is made on your knees and with your heart. Giving generously and cheerfully has very little to do with mathematical formulas.
John’s Facilities Online Calendar: Looking for a room for a meeting or event? You can view this calendar online. Go to https://teamup.com/ks059311afd6a21c57 If you would like to book a room/location on campus for an event/meeting, please contact Christy Kramer at the church office to be added to the calendar. Please note: You may only use the facility if you have pre-reserved your requested room/location with Christy Kramer
- Ministry Opportunity: John’s participates in The Table ministry (based at First Presbyterian Church, 1333 Third St. in Napa) by cooking/serving a meal every month on the 2nd Friday. If you would like to help, please sign up for a shift (or multiple shifts) by clicking on the link below: volunteersignup.org/88F3X
We thank you for your service. Your time and your talents are greatly appreciated. Blessings, The Table Team
- Aaron Comfort Dog… New team members are always welcome! Come join us and observe how this amazing ministry works. Please contact Tim or Christy Kramer if you would like to “shadow” during one of our events!
- Aaron Comfort Dog Contact Info: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages at AaronComfortDog.
- Recycle your Household Batteries at SJL: John’s Lutheran is working with Napa Recycling on collecting and disposing of any household batteries you may have; AAA, AA, C, D & 9 volt batteries. We will not accept automotive or drill batteries, only standard householdbatteries. Containers are available in the school office, church office, and Room 10.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Mission India: Please keep this year’s Mission India Literacy trainers in your prayers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see www.missionindia.org.Aaron Comfort Dog… New team members are always welcome! Come join us and observe how this amazing ministry works. Please contact Tim or Christy Kramer if you would like to “shadow” during one of our events!Aaron Comfort Dog Contact Info: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages at AaronComfortDog.
- Abide Daily Devotion… How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotions in your email each morning. http://stjohnslutheran.net/abide-devotion/
- Online: Are you on Facebook? Twitter? Follow and Friend St. Johns! @sjlcnapa