This Week’s Memory Verse
I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. ~1 Corinthians 1:10
As We Gather
What does it mean to be a Christian in a culture which has very different values? Paul wrote a letter addressing the struggle and calling a specific congregation to faithfulness in following Christ. On Sunday, we continue our worship series, focusing on this letter: 1 Corinthians. We will find many similarities between the struggles of the Corinthian Christians and our own struggles to be faithful today. But we will also find in the words of this letter that power of the Cross of Christ to speak to us, renew us, and empower us to walk in the wisdom of God today.
In today’s passage from 1 Corinthians, Paul addresses the Corinthians longing for human wisdom and that God has made foolish the wisdom of the world. True wisdom is found in Christ and the message of the cross. For many this message was foolishness, but for those who believe it is the power of God and the wisdom of God. What does it mean for us today to grow in wisdom as the people of St. John’s?
Old Testament Isaiah 55:6-11
Psalm: Psalm 1
Epistle 1 Corinthians 1:18-2:5
Gospel Matthew 16:21-28
Children’s Church… Jenny Gass
- Ministry Trends: Concerns and Opportunities Additional Forum . . . Thank you to all who came to the forum on Monday, June 11. There were just under 100 people in attendance.
There will be another session of the Ministry Trends open forum for those who were unable to attend the first one. This will be on Saturday, June 23, at 9:30 am in Room 10. The purpose of this open forum is to initiate conversation and prayer regarding the future of St. John’s. We will be looking at trends in our culture regarding faith and the church at large. We will also be taking a hard look at trends in our own congregation regarding demographics, worship attendance, the makeup of our school, finances, staffing and offerings. This meeting could be the beginning of a deliberative process over the next year involving leaders and interested members of our congregational community as we ponder the Lord’s will for us. All are invited.
- Congregational Meeting June 3, 2018 . . At this meeting the following actions were taken by the congregation:
- Board of Directors Election. The congregation elected Michele Arnold, Andrea Clark, Lori Gutierrez, and John Van Hofwegen, and Todd Yoder, to two year terms beginning on July 1. They will join continuing Board Members Gail Vandeburgt, Lisa De Young, Danielle Irwin and Judi Rock.
- Ministry Plan and Budget for 2018-2019. . . The congregation adopted the proposed ministry plan and budget for 2018-2019 with no changes. The final version of the Ministry Plana and Budget are on the church website.
- By-Law Revisions . . . The congregation adopted the proposed By–Law revisions with two addition changes. There was a change to the title of one section, and a provision was added to ensure the timely dissemination of Congregational Meeting minutes. The updated By-Laws will be available on the church website soon.
- Stephen Ministers Grow in the Lord…The more you focus on the Lord and do God’s work, the more satisfaction you will find. It’s that simple! Are you looking for more satisfaction in your life? Consider serving our congregation as a Stephen Minister. By helping others, you will help God’s kingdom grow – and you will grow too! Applications for the training session beginning August 23rd are being accepted through June 24th. Applications are available in the church office. For more information, contact Pam Barker, Penni Cremen, or Pastor Mark.
BY GOD’S GRACE, ZACCHAEUS
SAW HIS MONEY AS GOD’S
MONEY, AND HE GAVE HALF
AWAY TO THE POOR.
Jesus said, “Today salvation has come to this house . . .” (Luke 19:9)
- “New Tricks Club”… Announcing a new club for AARP eligible persons willing to try something new! Learn to design, build and program robots in a positive environment. Free classes will be held on Wednesdays, June 27, July 11, 18 from 6:30-8:30 PM in the Library. If interested, please contact Mike Newton.
- Will You Leave A Legacy As A Disciple Of Christ?… Your help is needed in Children’s Ministry at St John’s Lutheran Church. We are currently looking for some additional Children’s Church Leaders. What’s required for the job? A love for Jesus and a love for children! We provide the resources for what you teach(the curriculum). Your commitment is usually for one Sunday a month during the 10:15 am worship service. Please contact Janis King immediately! Thank you for prayerfully considering this special opportunity as a disciple of Christ!
- Youth Events: Abide (High School) will meet on Tuesday, June 26th at 7:00 PM for Bible Study, Games & Snacks. We are studying the Gospel of Mark. Join us at the Hoff’s, 10 Glen Court, Napa, CA. For questions, contact Elaine Hoff at 707-227-2588.
- St. John’s Facilities Online Calendar: Looking for a room for a meeting or event? You can view this calendar online. Go to https://teamup.com/ks059311afd6a21c57 If you would like to book a room/location on campus for an event/meeting, please contact Christy Kramer at the church office to be added to the calendar. Please note: You may only use the facility if you have pre-reserved your requested room/location with Christy Kramer
- Mission India: Please keep this year’s Mission India Literacy trainers in your prayers. To support this ministry financially, please make out your check to St. John’s. You can use the designated offering envelopes or write on your check that it is for Mission India. For more information about our partnership with Mission India and the opportunity to change lives and draw them to Christ, see www.missionindia.org.
- Aaron Comfort Dog… New team members are always welcome! Come join us and observe how this amazing ministry works. Please contact Tim or Christy Kramer if you would like to “shadow” during one of our events!
- Aaron Comfort Dog Contact Info: If you would like to request a visit from Aaron, please contact Tim or Christy Kramer @ 255-0119. For an update on his activities, please check out his Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages at AaronComfortDog.
- Ministry Opportunity: St. John’s participates in The Table ministry (based at First Presbyterian Church, 1333 Third St. in Napa) by cooking/serving a meal every month on the 2nd Friday. If you would like to help, please sign up for a shift (or multiple shifts) by clicking here. We thank you for your service. Your time and your talents are greatly appreciated. Blessings, The Table Team
- Recycle your Household Batteries at SJL: St. John’s Lutheran is working with Napa Recycling on collecting and disposing of any household batteries you may have; AAA, AA, C, D & 9 volt batteries. We will not accept automotive or drill batteries, only standard household batteries. Containers are available in the school office, church office, and Room 10.
- Campus Security: Please remember to check that doors are properly closed and locked as you leave the room you are using. Thanks for helping us take care of our campus.
- Abide Daily Devotion… How do I let Scripture guide my prayer life? How can I let Jesus direct what I pray for each day? The Abide Devotion, written by Pastor Mike, is a daily devotion designed to address these concerns. You can click here for more information and to subscribe to receive the devotions in your email each morning.